Orielbenfro

Default Trooper Thomas at Waterloo

Trooper William Thomas ‘B’ Troop Royal Horse Artillery at the Battle of Waterloo.
    In 1851 he worked as a groom in the town of Narberth and in 1871 living with wife Ann drawing a pension, he died 10th March 1876 aged 88 yrs.
    Any further information surrounding his army career only would be appreciated.
    Rgds
    Oriel Benfro

Geoffers

From census returns, where was he shown as being born?

It should be possible to identify his discharge papers in TNA's catalogue

In the word or prhase field enter his name
    In the year range, try restricting this to 1800-1841
    In the department or series code, enter WO

If you can find a link, you should be able to order a copy of his discharge papers from TNA

The Waterloo medal roll is available on findmypast - it won't give a lot of detail, but should confirm the information you have got.

neil1821

Hmmm, there must be some confusion on this one.

B-Troop RHA weren't at Waterloo to the best of my knowledge (I'd need to double check though). And in the RHA troops that were there, I don't immediately see a William Thomas I'm afraid. And lastly his rank wouldn't be trooper, gunner or driver but not trooper.
    There is a Gunner William Thomas on the MGS medal roll for the Artillery serving in the Peninsular War. Might be a possibility.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by neil1821
    Hmmm, there must be some confusion on this one.
    B-Troop RHA weren't at Waterloo to the best of my knowledge
    Thank heavens Neil - I thought it must be me!

The nearest I can see in the Waterloo medal roll is

Driver Wm THOMAS, Royal Artillery Drivers; Major N. Turner's 'A' Troop.

..........unless you can see a better match?

Orielbenfro

Default William Thomas fo Waterloo

Neil,

I have been working on the information contained on his headstone.

Perhaps I should explain further. I have for a number of years been collecting Military family related headstones in and around Pembrokeshire, to date I have some 1,750 entries covering the years 1745 to 2001, in my database which along with research currently runs to 540 pages in very small font in .pdf files.

I do not do too much with CWGC headstones although I do record them as you will know CWGC are tasked with their future upkeep. this does not happen with family headstones and many of the 18th and 19th century stones are now fading to nothing and are hardly readable.

William Thomas is just one of my 1750 entries that I have tried to add further information to in the hope that at some point in the future when the headstone has gone at least something will remain to his memory.

Hope this explains my interest.
    Rgds
    Owen Vaughan
    ORIEL a welsh window on a surname