Thread: Missin/hutson

lindagalvin

Smile Missin/hutson

Hi all,

I have just joined the list and would like help finding some ancestors who hail from the Cambridge / Norfolk region

The only information I have to go on at the minute is that of my maternal grandparents (and even that is a bit patchy).

My grandfather’s name was Arthur William MISSIN b1879 Wisbech? d1950 appx My grandmother’s name was Elizabeth Ann HUTSON b1887 March d1974. She was previously married to Leonard HICKS and had two sons Arthur and Robert (Bob)

Arthur and Elizabeth had 5 sons and 1 daughter

The village names spoken about in the family include WISBECH, LEVERINGTON, MARCH, CLENCHWARTON, TERRINGTON ST CLEMENTS AND KINGS LYNN

I don’t know if this is enough information but can anyone help me get further back?

Yours truly,

Linda

A fountain of knowledge

Smile 1881

Welcome, Linda!

One of the first places to look will be the 1881 census, which can be searched free at www.familysearch.org

If this is your Arthur, he is going to give you some problems.

Samuel MISSIN Head M Male 43 Leverington, Cambridge, England Mole Catcher
    Mary J. MISSIN Wife M Female 28 Upwell, Cambridge, England Mole Catcher Wife
    Henry LEVERINGTON Visitor U Male 23 Upwell, Cambridge, England Horsekeeper
    Arthur MISSIN Nephew Male 2 Wisbech, Cambridge, England
    -----
    Source Information:
    Dwelling Common
    Census Place Leverington, Cambridge, England
    Family History Library Film 1341404
    Public Records Office Reference RG11
    Piece / Folio 1694 / 14
    Page Number 22

Continued below,

Peggy
    Last edited by Peggy; 18-02-2005 at 10:00 AM. Reason: add

A fountain of knowledge

Default 1891 & 1901

These come from Ancestry, to which I subscribe:

1891:
    Missin, Arthur 14 Wisbech, Cambridgeshire Nephew Leverington Cambridgeshire
    Missin, Jane 36 Upwell, Cambridgeshire Wife Leverington Cambridgeshire
    Missin, Samuel 50 Leverington, Cambridgeshire Head Leverington Cambridgeshire

1901:
    Arthur W Missin 22 Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, England Son Leverington Cambridgeshire
    Mary I Missin 46 Upwell, Cambridgeshire, England Wife Leverington Cambridgeshire
    Samuel W Missin 59 Leverington, Cambridgeshire, England Head Leverington Cambridgeshire

You'll notice that people's ages have not been changing by 10 years, as is often the case. But Arthur has also changed from Nephew to Son.

TBC,

Peggy

A fountain of knowledge

Default Hutson

Do you think this is your Elizabeth Ann?

1891:
    Hutson, Edith E 5 Elm, Cambridgeshire Daughter Elm Cambridgeshire
    Hutson, Elizabeth A 3 March, Cambridgeshire Daughter Elm Cambridgeshire
    Hutson, Fred 6 March, Cambridgeshire Son Elm Cambridgeshire
    Hutson, Hannah 39 Doddington, Cambridgeshire Wife Elm Cambridgeshire
    Hutson, Thomas 30 March, Cambridgeshire Head Elm Cambridgeshire

Registration district: Wisbech

I haven't found her on 1901.

One more <g>,

Peggy

A fountain of knowledge

Default Bmd

I tried the BMD on Ancestry, which is the same as the Free BMD available on the web. I had no success, but someone better at searching it may find them. If that fails, there is 1837online for paid access to the complete indices. Or perhaps the local RO will do a search within a year either way? Getting the birth certs would be a big help, and might solve the nephew/son puzzle.

If you'd like the images and full references for the census pages, just let me know.

Best,

Peggy

Betty Willson

Default Missin/Hutson

Hello Lindagalvin, I have the name Missen among my ancestors (Williams) I have dates for various Missen family members. The last one seems to be for Elizabeth Missen bp. 13 Sep 1789. She married William Potter 22 Dec 1815. This research was done by a relative. She says, "The surname Missen is one of the oldest and most enduring names to be found around Weston Colville and West Wratting......all appear to derive from one couple - William and Elizabeth (Fincham) Missen ......1580's". Maybe Missin is not Missen but I thought it might be the same family. If you find a connection, I could give you other dates etc. Weston Colville is in the Cambridge area. Betty Willson

lindagalvin

Thumbs up Missin/hutson

Dear Betty,

Thank you for the information. My mother, who was a Missin, believes that originally the family name should have been MISSEN but somehow changed along the way. I will let you know if I find any connection and then we can see if it adds up

Best Wishes

Linda

lindagalvin

Thumbs up Missin/hutson

Dear Peggy,

(By the by, Peggy is my mother's name as well - daughter of the two Missins in question)

Thank you for all the useful information. I am guessing that the Elizabeth A Hutson mentioned is my grandmother. But am unsure how to go about getting a birth certificate for either of them to confirm this with so little detail.

Yes, I had come up about the nephew/son problem. It could be possible he was adopted?

Your help has been much appreciated

Best Wishes

Linda

lindagalvin

Question Update re Missin/Hutson

I have now been able to go a little further having obtained the birth certicate of William Arthur Missen.Can anyone help me get further back.

I have traced my Grandfather, ARTHUR WILLIAM MISSEN to his birth in the Union Workhouse, Wisbech on the 23rd January 1879 to MARY ANN MISSEN (a domestic servant). No father is given.

It would appear that he then went to live with an uncle SAMUEL MISSIN, as he appears in the 1881 census and subsequent census’ living with them, listed as nephew and son in 1901, at The Common Leverington, Cambridgeshire.

SAMUEL MISSIN was born in Leverington and I wondered if MARY ANN could be an unmarried sister. If this is the case I wondered whether anyone could connect them in 1871 or 1861?

I have looked at the 1881 Census on Family Search and at the neighbours. There are a lot of MISSIN families there but none with a MARY ANN.

There has also been a suggestion that they are related to JAMES MISSIN AND FRANCES NICHOLS in the 1780’s, especially as my eldest uncle SAM has the middle name Nichols.

Is it possible to get any birth details from Workhouses? Can anyone give me any pointers as to where to go next?

Linda