Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Diane Cooper

Default William COOPER abt1830 of Bawdeswell

Hello, I am trying to research my G Grandfather William Cooper, abt 1830, of
    Bawdeswell, Norfolk. His Father is named on Marriage Cert. as John Cooper in 1875. Not able to find them on the 1841 census, would apprietate any help.

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Freereg has a burial in Bawdeswell All Saints Church Register Number 260 Burial Date 10 Jun 1835 John Cooper, Died suddenly on 7th June 1835, aged 53 or 58

Could this be him?
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Diane Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by michaelpipe View Post
    Freereg has a burial in Bawdeswell All Saints Church Register Number 260 Burial Date 10 Jun 1835 John Cooper, Died suddenly on 7th June 1835, aged 53 or 58

Could this be him?
    I have no knowledge of William Cooper 1830 Family. only that his Father was John Cooper. I found William in Penzance working as a Railway Labourer in 1851 census. I have been looking at the 1841 census for his Mother, Father, Brothers and sisters if any? and that they were from Bawdeswell and Williams Father may have been a Confectioner?. This all I have to go on. So yes this could be him.

DAVID COOPER

Default THE NORFOLK COOPERS

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Cooper View Post
    Hello, I am trying to research my G Grandfather William Cooper, abt 1830, of
    Bawdeswell, Norfolk. His Father is named on Marriage Cert. as John Cooper in 1875. Not able to find them on the 1841 census, would apprietate any help.
    Hi Diane , I have information about the Cooper family from this area as I am connected to William Cooper . We have just returned from Norfolk researching my Coopers from this area and found many graves . Would you like to get in touch ? Regards, David Cooper .

Starting to feel at home

Hello Diane,
    I did have a look at the Bawdeswell baptism records which are available on line at FamilySearch.org but was unable to find a baptism for a William Cooper in the period 1828 - 1832. Also, like you, I couldn't find a likely family in the 1841 Census on Ancestry. However, in the 1841 Census on FindMyPast I did find the following:

HO107/772/6/9 Lion Street, Hindringham

John COOPER 43 Ag.Lab. Y
    Ann COOPER 45 Y
    Robert COOPER 22 Y
    James COOPER 15 Y
    William COOPER 13 Y
    Lydia COOPER 12 Y
    Ann COOPER 10 Y
    George COOPER 7 Y
    Rachel COOPER 5 Y

I don't know whether this could be the right family. It does seem possible that William could have been born somewhere else and the family moved to Bawdeswell when he was very young so that he always thought of Bawdeswell as his place of origin. William Cooper, Snr. was an ag. lab. and they did tend to move around a lot. Also Hindringham is not that far from Bawdeswell.

Hope this might be of some help.

janbooth

The William COOPER above is still in Hindringham in the 1851 and 1861 census records, unmarried, a Farm Labourer, living with father John (and mother Ann in the 1851) and some of his siblings so I think he is unlikely to be your William who was in Penzance in the 1851 census.

Did your William marry twice? There is a William COOPER, aged 31, Railway Labourer, born Bawdeswell, in the 1861 census of Exeter St Paul (RG9/1398, folio 58, page 15) married to a Fanny, aged 29, living at 21 Paul Street with a stepdaughter Charlotte GREENSLADE, aged 9. Ah, yes, it is the same William as his actual parish register marriage entry is on Findmypast and his father's name and profession is the same as you have stated in post 3. Can't give you details I'm afraid as terms and conditions on FMP forbid this The GRO Index shows his marriage as taking place in the June qtr 1860 at Honiton reg district.

Will search a bit more for father John now.

Janet

janbooth

Now this is a bit speculative, but if it was William's father John who died in 1835, we could be looking for a female COOPER living in Bawdeswell in the 1841 census. There is a Harriot COOPER, aged 45, a Schoolmistress living with daughters Harriot & Frances (HO107/763/2, folio 11, page 16). However, I think bang may go that theory as Family Search has the actual parish register image for the birth of a Harriet COOPER at Wymondham in 1817 to a John & Harriet COOPER nee FLOOD, Weaver. Also given that your William was only about 11, I would expect him to be with at least his mother in the 1841 census. Although having said that, his age does vary in census records. He appears to be resident at Rose Cottage, Clifton, Gloucestershire in the 1871 census living with wife Fanny, stepdaughter Charlotte and nephew George GREENSLADE and this time he is shown as aged 45 born Norwich, which would make his birth as c1826!

There is a death registration for a Fanny COOPER in the December qtr 1871 at Clifton reg district, aged 40. Where, when and to whom did your William COOPER marry in 1875, Diana. This might help us to trace him back and make sure we have the correct William COOPER.

Janet

janbooth

I think I may have found a feasible option, Diana. Try this for a likely scenario. Looking at the baptisms for Bawdeswell (actual images available on Family Search), there is only one baptism for a William COOPER and that is on 16 January 1825 for a William Albert COOPER son of Ann Perry COOPER. Subsequent marriage at North Elmham on 30 April 1827 for a John SLY of Bawdeswell, bachelor, & an Ann Perry COOPER of the parish, spinster.

1841 census for Bawdeswell (HO107/763/2, folio 10, page 13) shows a John SLY, aged 30, Confectioner, living with wife Ann and various children - no William COOPER though. However, I do think this is rather coincidental.

Visitor just arrived, so have to do now, but see what you think.

Janet

janbooth

Perhaps another piece of information from the Archdeacon's Transcripts of Bawdeswell:

24 December 1809 Ann Perry COOPER daughter of John COOPER & Elizabeth late PERRY was born 19 December and baptised 24 December 1809. Perhaps the John COOPER who was buried in 1835 was Ann's father. The newspaper article from the Norfolk Chronicle dated 13 June 1835 states that John COOPER died suddenly whilst on his way to visit friends and was for many years a respectable inhabitant of the parish of Bawdeswell.

However, all this may be pure speculation and perhaps David will have some information for you as he suggests in post 4. Do let us know.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

It is a very ingenious suggestion, Janet, and I think you may well be right. The only thing that bothers me, though, is that the age given for William Cooper in the 1851, 1861 and 1881 Censuses all indicate a date of birth from 1829 - 1831. It is only his age given in the 1871 Census that would support a date of birth in 1825.

Robin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast