Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    janbooth

Agreed, Robin, and it is only a speculative theory at the moment. When Diana gets back to us and gives us the details of his second marriage, we may be able to refute or corroborate this speculation. I am reasonably happy that the marriage to Fanny GREENSLADE is correct because the details of William's father correspond to those that Diana has from his second marriage. Fanny's death occurs in 1871 which leaves William free to marry again in 1875.

There is a William COOPER in Clifton in the 1881 census who is married to a Charlotte but needless to say I cannot find this marriage! However, in the 1891 census of Clifton (RG12/1967, folio 30, page 22), William is shown as William Albert COOPER, born c1830 in Norfolk, deaf, a Labourer, living with wife Charlotte and 5 children plus nephew George GREENSLADE which proves this is the same William COOPER who was married to Fanny GREENSLADE as nephew George GREENSLADE was with William & Fanny in the 1871 census of Clifton. Given that in this census he is referred to as William Albert COOPER and combined with his birthplace in earlier census records, it would appear reasonable to assume that he is the William Albert COOPER son of Ann Perry COOPER. However, as I say, until Diana gets back to us with the marriage details of her William COOPER, it is still only an assumption.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

Well done, Janet! I would now say that it seems pretty conclusive that we are dealing with the same man all the way through, in other words, the William Albert COOPER, son of Ann Perry COOPER, who was baptised in Bawdeswell on 16 January 1825. It just shows that we can not put too much trust in the ages given in censuses.

Robin

Diane Cooper

Default Diane Cooper

Thankyou all for your findings on William Cooper abt 1830, due to my fathers ill health my research has been held up. William Cooper my greatgfather seems to have married to Fannys daughter, Charlotte Greenslade his stepdaughter after Fanny died. He had his family with her.

Diane Cooper

Hello David, I seemed to have come to a brick wall with William Cooper. I stopped researching due to ill health in my family. When I had an email with more information on Him, I was able to tell my father about his Grandfather. which has opened my interest again in my family research, it was able to help with my family tree. Any link You may have with the Cooper Family of Norfolk may help me. My Father is now Ninety Years old and His memory is failing. Thankyou I would like to get in touch. Regards Diane Cooper.

janbooth

Glad to be of help, Diane, and I hope the information has been of use to you. From what you say in post 13, it would appear an even more likely scenario that your William COOPER is the William Albert COOPER baptised c1825 at Bawdeswell and hopefully David will have more information for you.

Janet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12