Thread: Dodgy Surgeon?

Feen

Question Dodgy Surgeon?

I'm trying to trace a surgeon called David Hague. All I know of him so far is that his daughter Ann got married in Leamington in 1864 to Thomas Cuthbertson. Her wedding certificate simply gives her address as Leamington Priors, and I've had no luck finding the family in census records.

I checked the new medical registers on A____cy (why do people write it like that, is it just because it's so frustrating to use it makes you want to swear?) and I couldn't find David Hague. This makes me wonder whether he was a dodgy unlicensed (or struck off) sawbones. Or whether he may have been in some less prestigious medical occupation that you didn't necessarily need to be registered to practise in... and Ann exaggerated her father's status?

Grateful for any ideas to help me find this mysterious doctor...

Feen

Nicolina

have you tried looking at varients like HAIGH?

Jan1954

Hello Furry Feen,

Have you had a look in www.
    historicaldirectories.org/ website to see if he is listed anywhere?

Also, check different spellings such as Haigh, Haigue etc (I see that Nicolina has already suggested that)
    Last edited by Jan1954; 21-02-2009 at 3:02 PM. Reason: Addition

Wilkes_ml

Have you found Thomas and Ann Cuthbertson in the 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, and 1901 census? If so, where was Ann born, and when roughly was she born?

As you have their marriage certificate, I assume you have a birth certificate of one of their children and tracked the family back to Ann's marriage.

Who were the witnesses on the marriage certificate? Could they be relatives of Ann? Sometimes it helps to find a sibling with a less common name.

If you know when and where Ann was born, try searching for her in 1861 without entering a surname, just specifying place of birth and year of birth +/- a few years - this way you may pick up spelling variations or mistranscriptions of the surname.
    Last edited by Wilkes_ml; 21-02-2009 at 3:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Nicolina

how old was Ann when she married? Maybe she will show up on an earlier Census with her family.
    They didn't always put "deceased" on marriage certificates, so it is possible that her father had died before her marriage.

Feen

Wow, thanks for all these quick, helpful replies...

Nicolina, there was a Haig in the medical registers but I'm reasonably sure that's not him as he was in Scotland in successive directories.

Wilkes_ml I'm a complete prat and need to organise my research better! I do actually know from later census records that Ann was born in Nottingham but completely forgot that in my excitement at discovering a wedding in Warwickshire, which is where heaps of completely unrelated ancestors come from! I'll review that search now using wildcards...

Jan, thanks for the historical directories site, it'll be hugely useful!!