Lorin Walker

Default Abrahamson & Higgins Families of London

Can anyone help with my Abrahamson Family in London. In particular Captain John Abrahamson and Captain John George Abrahamson who married Mary Ann Higgins (the daughter of T H Higgins of London).

Lorin Walker

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Lorin,

We help when we can but London was a big place even in the 1800's so success isn't guaranteed, but we do need a little bit more information from you.
    Firstly, did two people with very similar names marry the same women, or have you made a typo?
    Two, do you know when and where they married, i.e. have you got a marriage certificate, and if so what details are given as regards addresses, ages, occupations, name of church, etc.
    Three, do you have any other positive details, e.g. living in Clerkenwell Road in the 1881 census? Or even 'family legends says.....'?
    And finally, do you have something specific that you want to find, e.g. where they where on the 1871 census?

I've just done a quick look at Abrahamson on the 1881 born England, living England and the number of entries doesn't equate to the number of marriages on FreeBMD between 1875 and 1900. However if you enter just Abrahamson and leave the birthplace and census place blank you find a lot more people. Born in such diverse places as Russia, Sweden, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Leeds and Gipsy Hill So you may be talking naturalisation records.

But to begin with, tell us the details you already have.

Pam Downes

Lorin Walker

Default Abrahamson & Higgins Families of London

Hi Pam,

Thanks for your fast response and sorry for my very slow reply. Had to find my login details and when I am at work I don't have the family tree info with me.

Here goes:

My gggrandfather is Captain John George Abrahamson (b. 9 March 1848 London, d. 6 April 1918 Bunbury WA). His father was Captain John Abrahamson. I believe Captain John died in Mile End during the June 1882 quarter (as per FreeBMD). Also from FreeBMD I have a marriage between Captain John George Abrahamson and Mary Ann Higgins in Stepney during the June 1875 quarter.

The following is an extract from "The Cyclopedia of Western Australia" and may help.

" Captain John George Abrahamson, Harbourmaster Bunbury, was born on March 9 1848 and is a son of Captain John Abrahamson of London. He was educated at Montrose Academy Scotland, and being apprenticed to marine pursuits became connected with the Pow and Faucus line of vessels of North Shields, in which he was apprenticed for 6 years. He passed his first examination in 1866 in London and sailed as second mate in the "John C Munro," of London. In 1869 he took his first mate's certificate in London, qualifying as master in 1873 in London. Captain Abrahamson had command of one of the Oliver Wilson, also Trinder Anderson, line of ships, and was engaged in the early immigration trade between London and Western Australia in command of sailing vessels..... He married Mary Ann, daughter of Mr. T. H . Higgins, of London, and has a surviving family of three daughters and a son."

I know of John George's life in Bunbury/Rottnest WA from that time on, have found the headstones of himself, his wife (in Bunbury) and two of his three daughters in Perth. I know his son (Henry Herbert) is also in Bunbury and I believe the other daughter may be there as well.

I am more concerned about finding out as much information on his father and father in ltain John Abrahamson of London. He was educated at Montrose Academy Scotland, and being apprenticed to marine pursuits became connected with the Pow and Faucus line of vessels of North Shields, in which he was apprenticed for 6 years. He passed his first examination in 1866 in London and sailed as second mate in the "John C Munro," of London. In 1869 he took his first mate's certificate in London, qualifying as master in 1873 in London. Captain Abrahamson had command of one of the Oliver Wilson, also Trinder Anderson, line of ships, and was engaged in the early immigration trade between London and Western Australia in command of sailing vessels..... He married Mary Ann, daughter of Mr. T. H . Higgins, of London, and has a surviving family of three daughters and a son."

I am coming over to London in June and would love to be able to visit a cemetery to take some photos of their graves and hopefully understand their lives a little better.

If you wish for further information, I will gladly offer this if I know it.

Lorin Walker (nee Abrahamson).

Reputation beyond repute

Do you have the birth certificate of John George Abrahamson? If not, I suggest that you need it. The reference is 1848 Jun St Geo E II 116*. This will give you his mother's name who might be easier to find in a census. Mariners in my tree were never in the country for censuses.

Also I think you'll be wanting the marriage cert you mentioned.

*That was a free gift from me. I don't dish out many of those