Thread: Ebenezer Allan

Default Ebenezer Allan

When researching my mother-in-law's family I was delighted when the trail led to Ebenezer Allan. Here, I thought, was a name that would be easy to trace given the run of Alexanders that began our quest. Alas my delight was in vain as Ebenezer has proved to another of my brick walls.
    Ebenezer Allan married Marion Fleming 5 September 1790 in Linlithgow, West Lothian. Scotland.
    The Family of Ebenezer Allan and Marion Fleming
    1. Marion Allan was born 24 September 1791, Linlithgow, Scotland. Marion Allan married Andrew Robertson,
    8 December 1811.
    2. Ebenezer Allan was born 1 June 1794, Linlithgow, Scotland. Ebenezer Allan married Barbara Gray, 27
    June 1820. Barbara Gray was born 1791, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland. Barbara (Gray) Allan died
    1867, Victoria, Australia.
    3. James Fleming Allan was born 10 October 1797, Linlithgow, Scotland. James Fleming Allan married (1)
    Ann Williamson, 12 June 1827, Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland. James Fleming Allan married (2)
    Jane Murray, 31 July 1837, Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland.
    Parish Records Linlithgow 1741-1819
    Marion Allan born 24 September 1791, baptised 25 September 1791 parents:- Ebenezer Allan (weaver) &
    Marion Fleming
    Ebenezer Allan born 1 June 1794, baptised 8 June 1794 parents:- Ebenezer Allan (weaver) & Marion Fleming
    James Fleming Allan born 10 October 1797, baptised 13 October 1797 parents:- Ebenezer Allan (weaver) &
    Marion Fleming

Given Ebenezer's occupation (weaver) I do not know enough of the area and its history to know whether to extend my search west to Glasgow or east to Edinburgh, or how far to search - how mobile were weavers at that time c1770 ...

Famous for offering help & advice

Having looked around a bit, I can see why this is in Brickwalls. The later 18th century was a time when people were moving from all over Scotland to the central part around Glasgow and Edinburgh. The IGI comes up with a few possibilities for Ebenezer's baptism, but which one to choose?

Do you have anything at all on Ebenezer (the father) after his children were born? Burial? Census? Emigration? Anything, basically, which might give a clue as to his age. If he lived until 1855 when civil registration started in Scotland, his death certificate should give his parents' names, but that may be too much to hope for...

Have you a copy of Ebenezer Allan and Marion Fleming's marriage entry? Does that give any clues?

Arthur
    Last edited by arthurk; 21-02-2009 at 5:18 PM. Reason: Afterthought

ennael

Default ALLAN

You state that Barbara died in Victoria, Australia, going on from that there are 3 Ebenezer ALLAN entries on the Pre-Release Victorian Wills and Probate site.
    1854 -Gentleman
    1894 - Farmer
    1908 - Grain Merchant
    The website is very slow to load, no doubt due to popularity. Not all wills and probates are digitised.These entries may or may not be connected to your search. Though the 1854 one does mention wife Barbara.

https://proarchives.imagineering.com....sp?searchid=54

Leanne

Judith Douthie

Hi,

I am a direct descendant of Ebenezer and Marion Fleming. I am from Victoria Aust. Can I help you?

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by Judith Douthie View Post
    Hi,

I am a direct descendant of Ebenezer and Marion Fleming. I am from Victoria Aust. Can I help you?

Judy
    I have sent you a PM so we can continue off-thread
    I look forward to comparing notes

daryl