A fountain of knowledge

Question Looking for a book

please.

I'm trying to locate a copy of "A Memoir of Maj. Gen. Sir Denis Pack" by Denis R. Pack-Beresford, University Press, Dublin, 1908. I haven't been able to find any library anywhere that will own up to having a copy.

Sir Denis served in the Peninsula and elsewhere, and commanded a brigade at Waterloo. He had a rather exciting career.

Thanks for any help,

Peggy

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    please.

I'm trying to locate a copy of "A Memoir of Maj. Gen. Sir Denis Pack" by Denis R. Pack-Beresford, University Press, Dublin, 1908. I haven't been able to find any library anywhere that will own up to having a copy.

Sir Denis served in the Peninsula and elsewhere, and commanded a brigade at Waterloo. He had a rather exciting career.
    You might try the Naval and Military Press, who have a large list of books, originals and reprints:

Other than that and the online second hand dealers, I'll bar it in mind when I have a browse in the second-hand shops that I use.

Geoffers

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks Geoffers!

I have the Naval and Military Press site bookmarked, and wish I could afford to order a few dozen items they have.

Some years back a librarian at the British Library did some looking for me, and she couldn't find the book in any library either. There were probably not many printed.

Peggy

nemisis

Default ray,

ref looking for a book,have you contacted the bodlian at oxford

AnnB

Hello Peggy
    I'm probably telling you something you already know, but have you seen the the page of Southampton University's web site at https://www.archives.lib.soton.ac.uk/guide/MS296.shtml They seem to have quite a lot of Sir Denis's papers in their special collections
    Best wishes
    Ann

A fountain of knowledge

Not in the Bod, as far as I can find out. I did find that there is a signed copy in a private, subscription-only library in NI.

Googling did turn up the Southampton University collection, Ann, and I've been in touch with them. They have some very interesting stuff, but they have a lot of it, not fully indexed. One of these days. . . .

Thanks,

Peggy

A fountain of knowledge

Thumbs up Update - Found

Call off the search. :-)

Found it, in a library in Switzerland. Copy obtained through the efforts & generosity of a distant cousin.

Aside from letters to his wife, there is only one family letter quoted in the book. That one was to my GGG-GF. (I was gobsmacked.) The family info section gave me new info, including additional siblings for my GG-GF.

Peggy

MikeG47

Peggy
    I have an ancestor who was an officer in Pack's Portuguese Brigade between 1810 and 1813 and and would dearly love to see a copy of Pack's memoir. Does the book describe details of his campaigns? Where in Switzerland did you find the copy?
    Mike

A fountain of knowledge

Hello Mike,

The Memoir is by his grandson. He had access to some letters, but as far as I know Denis never wrote his memoirs (he died fairly young) or kept a journal. (Wish he had!) There are descriptions of campaigns. If you want to give me a name or something specific to look for, I can have a try. As I recall, the book was in a library in Lausanne. I found it on the web. They scanned the book for my cousin, so perhaps a copy would now be more easy to get, and less expensive.

Peggy

MikeG47

Hi Peggy
    My ancestor was John Gomersall who was made Major in the 16th Portuguese Infantry Regiment on 7th May 1810 and Lt. Col on April14th 1812. He was temporarily put in command of the 21st Portuguese regiment between June and September 1812 and then carried on in the 16th until July 1813 when he was placed in command of the 2nd Portuguese Regiment. He was therefore with Pack's Portuguese Brigade for much of the war. I am thinking of visiting Southampton University Library in the near future to look at the Pack papers and later in the year I am hoping to tour Portugal and Spain following in his footsteps. A long time ago I visited the Archivo Historico Militar in Lisbon and brought back copies of documents related to his service and I intend making a second visit when I go to Portugal. Any information you can pass on from his grandson's memoir would be much appreciated.
    Mike
    mike AT dalecroft DOT fsnet DOT co DOT uk
    Last edited by Jan1954; 07-01-2012 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Email address edited to try to deter spammers