Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sixess

Default William SAUNDERS, b1827? Bow MDX

William SAUNDERS was born at Old Ford, Bow in about 1828. His father, also William, was a 'Woollen dyer'; his mother's name was Ann H(E)ARVEY; he had a sister Ann baptised at St Mary Stratford Bow in 1829. This info all comes from Australian records.

I have not yet been able to find any birth/baptism record anywhere for William.

There is a possibility that it is William's father (also William) recorded in the 1851 Census living at Anns Cottage, Old Ford Road, Bow MDX, possibly with a second wife (also Ann, but nee BUTTERFIELD), children from that marriage and Thomas, perhaps a previously unknown brother of the William b1827 and Ann b1829. Thomas' age at that census would have him born about 1833 and fit age range from a prior marriage. The William in this census record is a "Wool Dyer" born in Ireland. That would raise previously unknown origins !

Hoping to find birth/baptism records for William b1827? and any records at all for his parents William & Ann H(E)arvey, including possibility of this Ann's death before 1844. Any help or advice on where to now search would be appreciated. Ken.S.

trudy4656

IGI

https://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Sear...lear_form=true

William Saunders married Anne Hearvey 9th May 1819 St Dunstan, Stepney, London

Trudy

Sixess

Thanks Trudy!
    If thats my William 1827's father, and he is the first-born to my knowledge, there's a fair gap? between marriage and first birth. Also, if the William Saunders, 50yo, Woollen Dyer of Anns Cottage, Bow in 1851 census is the same person, he would have been 18yo at marriage in 1819.
    Do you think they could be one and the same William?

KenS.

trudy4656

Hi Ken

It could be... the names fit, (and are not all that common when put together) it's the right area etc etc but obviously we can't be 100% certain. It might be worth looking for other births and deaths, your William might not have been the first-born. I'll see if I can find anything else.

Trudy

janbooth

Default William SAUNDERS

Another piece in the jigsaw puzzle:

William SAUNDERS married Ann BUTTERFIELD in the September qtr 1841 at Whitechapel reg district, vol 2, page 461 according to FreeBMD.

Janet

Sixess

An afterthought, Trudy -
    Could William SAUNDERS and Ann HEARVEY not have been residents in England, but on a 'working sojourn' from Ireland where the 1851 census SAUNDERS says he was born? I was told when I first came across that William SAUNDERS years ago that it was not uncommon for Irish labourers to work for periods in England and then return to their homebase in Ireland. But I have no idea where in Ireland he would have come from. The only thing I am hanging my hat on in accepting the 1851 census SAUNDERS from Ireland as the father of William SAUNDERS b1827 is his 'Woollen Dyer' occupation which the latter gave as his father's occupation when he married at Christchurch Spitalfields in 1850. He was the only Saunders 'Woollen Dyer' I could find in the Bow/Mdx area.
    Just something extra to consider!
    Ken S.

Sixess

Thanks indeed Janet. Now I only need to find the 'departure' of Ann HEARVEY/SAUNDERS between 1835 and 1841. I'll see what I can find in that regard.
    Really appreciate the help I'm getting.
    Ken S.

trudy4656

IGI

Marriage of William Saunders to Ann Butterfield 25th July, 1841 Spitalfields Christ Church, Stepney, London.

BMD

Death of an Ann Saunders Reg Dec Qtr 1838 Stepney Vol 2 Page 373

There are other Ann Saunders registered around this time but this is the only one I can find In Stepney.

Trudy

Sixess

Thanks Trudy.
    Obviously my next step is to get a copy of the Stepney death registration of that Ann..
    Unfortunately, William Saunders pre the July 1841 marriage remains as elusive as when I began searching some 12 years ago, but still hoping!!

Ken S.

janbooth

Default William SAUNDERS

Ken,

The marriage certificate of William & Ann BUTTERFIELD will at least give you where William was living/staying when he married which is pretty close to the date of the 1841 census and may enable you to find him on that. It should also give you his father's name and occupation which again may enable you to trace him further back.

Good luck

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast