Anthoula

Default Help needed with tracing a Thomas Bennett

My husband`s great grandfather, Thomas Bennett, was born in May 1827 and christened in Chillingham Parish Church on the 29th July 1827 (according to the IGI). His parents are shown as Thomas Bennett and Elizabeth Oliver.

In 1851 Thomas was transported to Tasmania, and full Australian records exist for him and his descendents from that date. However I can not find any further record of his parents, Thomas and Elizabeth, who I assume continued to live in Northumberland. It is believed that Thomas senr. was a farmer/land owner.

I am very much hoping that someone can kindly look up the Chillingham Parish records for me, which I believe are held in Newcastle upon Tyne. It would be wonderful to discover any more information about Thomas and Elizabeth, especially a record of their marriage. Also any further details regarding Thomas jnr.s christening.

Many thanks.

Growing old Disgracefully

Smile

Hi
    The 1841 Census has this

Elizabeth Bennett 40
    Thomas Bennett 14
    Mary Detchen 25
    Robert Davison 20

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 823; Book: 25; Civil Parish: Ponteland; County: Northumberland; Enumeration District: 2B; Folio: 1; Page: 8; Line: 6;

Sandy

Growing old Disgracefully

Smile

Hi found this...

Elizabeth Oliver
    Birth Date: 22 Jan 1801, Christening Date: 24 May 1801
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
    Father's Name: William Oliver, Mother's Name: Margaret
    Maternal Grandfather's Name: John Storey

Source Citation: Place: Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England; Collection: All Saints; -; Date Range: 1791 - 1807; Film Number: 1068963.

Could be yours....its the one nearest, next one is born 1804
    Sandy

Anthoula

Thank you Sandy. I think the 1841 record is a strong possibility, and the birth for Elizabeth is certainly food for thought.