ourshay

Default GEORGE AND JANE HAMILTON

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help please? I am trying (Lord knows Im trying!) to sort this myself but I am getting nowhere fast. As I said in a previous thread I think [I] may have found my GG Granddad, George Hamilton but I can ony find him in 1901???????????
    I have searched the other censuses but he doesnt seem to appear and I am now wondering whether he hatched out of an egg in 1901! - plus I think he died in early 1902.

On 1901 census he is a commercial clerk in West Derby Liverpool aged 54 and married to Jane 55 and they have their young Grandson George with them who was 8. (Mind you on the front sheet on Ancestry it shows George's age as 57 but in the actual census its 54).

I wondered if maybe he had been in the armed forces before 1901 but surely in those days the wife would stay behind, but I cant find Jane. I can find other Janes but married to other people.

I know its a lot to ask of you but I wondered if anyone more experienced in this than me, can help me. I have sort of come to a shuddering halt.

By the way, my George was born in Liverpool and so was Jane.
    THANKS!!!!!
    Sorry to keep asking for help and I really want to do my bit to help others and I keep looking and trying, but since Im so useless at my own, its a cert im not that good at helping anyone else - YET! :-)

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ourshay
    On 1901 census he is a commercial clerk in West Derby Liverpool aged 54 and married to Jane 55 and they have their young Grandson George with them who was 8.
    Have you been able to get a birth certificate for George the grandson?

If you have - who were the parents; have you been able to locate them on any census and if so, where were they born?

I wondered if maybe he had been in the armed forces before 1901 but surely in those days the wife would stay behind
    No, there were some marrried quarters.

Geoffers

PS - if the census entry you have found is:

RG13/3489 f79 p17 sch.119

His age is actually correctly indexed as 57

ourshay

Default George and Jane Hamilton

Hi geoffers and thank you

No I havent got a birth cert for grandson, he is just on census so have no idea of parents. Didint know they had married quarters in those days. Any idea how I could find out if he was (sorry if I sound such a novice - I am!)

Geoffers

See my last reply as to George's age.

If he was in the army, his record will be at The National Archives at Kew
    Have a browse of their research guides - British Army

If he was in the RN or RM - service records can be searched and downloaded from documentsonline

elaine webb

Hi,

There is a birth for grandson - George Gibson Hamilton 1893 March 8b 472, W.Derby, don't know if he is yours??

Also, George Hamilton 1894 June Toxteth Park 8b 222.

Elaine.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ourshay
    No I havent got a birth cert for grandson, he is just on census so have no idea of parents.
    The census entry shows the grandson to convenientally have a middle initial - he was George G HAMILTON

Looking at the GRO index of births shows:

March 1893 - HAMILTON George Gibson - West Derby - Vol 8b Page 472

A copy of his birth certificate would give you parents' names from which you may be able to locate them on census returns.

Alternatively, can you identify George (the grandson) on the 1911 census and with whom was he living?

You mention that you are not sure that the 1901 census entry is your family - So, come forward to your great-grandparent who was the son/daughter of George Hamilton......

Do you have your great grandparent's marriage certificate - what does that record?

Do you have your great-grandparent's birth certificate - what does that record?

ourshay

Default George and Jane hamilton

Thank you both Geoffers and Elaine
    Well, I said I think he is my GG Grandfather but therein lies a tale (as dont they all!). I think he MAY have been the father of my Nan who was illegitimate!
    Her mother was Margaret McFarlane and on Nan's (May) birth cert it shows no father but she is named as May Hamilton (both christian names) McFarlane. However, Margaret went on to have 2 more children (and incidentally 2 who died before my Nan) and on Mary's in 1902 her father is named as George Hamilton (deceased) which makes me think he must have died between conception 1901 and birth Feb 1902 (or registration in that first quarter of course). On my Nans wedding cert it again shows her father as George deceased (although he wasnt on her birth cert). On Marys birth cert it shows him as having been a commercial clerk and the George on the 1901 is the only one I can find of that occupation. The fact that he is married (in same area) may be indicative of why he didnt marry Margaret since she bore him at least 5 children. I might be wrong but its looking that way.

Jan1954

Have a look at the 1881 census - Piece: 3679; Folio: 6; Page: 5

There is a Jane Hamilton of the right age, who is married, but without a husband in tow. She is a visitor to Joseph and Eliza Harrison, who live at 434 Stanley Road, Kirkdale, Liverpool with their family.

Jane has a pile of children with her:

John, 10
    Florence, 9
    Charles, 5
    Frederick, 4
    Margaret S, 3 months.

Any chance she could be yours?

Geoffers

Tricky - have you been able to identify a death in the GRO index?

Did he by any chance of amiracle leave a will? (and especially mention "to my illegitimate children by...........").