Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Revenue Officer

Lily

Wink Revenue Officer

They had at least one son, my great grandfather, John Arthur Bennett in 1857. This is where it gets interesting, as John Arthur was born in Ipstones, Cheddleton nr Leek.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    They had at least one son, my great grandfather, John Arthur Bennett in 1857. This is where it gets interesting, as John Arthur was born in Ipstones, Cheddleton nr Leek.
    Hi Lily,

Over to plan number 376

Have you got the birth certificate of John junior? And how are you 110% certain that you have the correct John junior - as there are two John Arthurs born in June quarter 1857, as well as 30 other Johns (info from FreeBMD. Other 1857 quarters still to be transcribed.).
    What is John senior's occupation on the birth cert? Ipstones looks an unlikely place to be the centre of Revenue activity although it does have a canal nearby.

Pam Downes

Lily

Wink Revenue Officer

Yes I have the correct John Junior, as 1901 census indicates he was born in Leek, also it links up with his death in 1929 for which I have the original probate information (one of the family heirlooms). John senior's occupation was listed as Revenue Officer on JA birth certificate. Apparently so I am told Revenue Officers could either work in Customs (at a port) or Excise (in towns) where they would deal with purchase tax. My uncle a retired accountant does not seem surprised by the ground covered in light of the career choice.

Hi Lily,

Plan number 377 now then.

It's worth asking the Staffordshire list if anyone has the 1861 census and if so would it be possible for them to please check in Ipstones for John junior with/without parents.
    You could also ask the British Census forum for a look-up on the 1871 (and 1891 if you don't have it) country-wide. Look for John junior, born Ipstone/Cheddleton/Leek, aged 13/14/15, and hope that John senior is there too!
    Alternatively you can take out a 7 day subscription to Ancestry.co.uk for just over 7 quid (including VAT) which includes viewing 20 images. Choice of 1871, 1881, 1891, and 1901 census, plus lots of other records.

Pam Downes

A fountain of knowledge

Thumbs down Ipstones 1871

Hi,

I had a try at this before, with less information, but I'm still not having any luck. Here's what comes up on a "best results" search for Bennett with birthplace Ipstones:

Edward Bennett 64 Ipstones, Staffordshire, England Head Ipstones Staffordshire
    Samuel Bennett 55 Ipstones, Staffordshire, England Head Caverswall Staffordshire

More to come,

Peggy

A fountain of knowledge

Thumbs down Cheddleton 1871

More here, but still no luck.

George Bennett 6 Cheddleton, Staffordshire, England Stepson Cheddleton Staffordshire
    James Bennett 10 Cheddleton, Staffordshire, England Son Consall Staffordshire
    Martha Ann Bennett 8 Cheddleton, Staffordshire, England Stepdaughter Cheddleton Staffordshire
    Sarah Bennett 70 Cheddleton, Staffordshire, England Mother Consall Staffordshire Sussannah Bennett 8 Cheddleton, Staffordshire, England Daughter Consall Staffordshire
    William Bennett 11 Cheddleton, Staffordshire, England Servant Consall Staffordshire
    William Bennett 6 Cheddleton, Staffordshire, England Son Consall Staffordshire

Peggy

A fountain of knowledge

Default Census

Many more born in Leek showing on the 1871, but none who fit.

Btw, is the John A, 43, born Leek, living in South Manchester on the 1901 census yours?

Peggy

Peggy,

You are a little star for your efforts. Thank you. Were they the results of searching countrywide for John, or just searching living in Ipstone/Cheddleton?
    The Ipstone/Cheddleton request was for 1861, as John was born in Ipstone in 1857. But if John senior was still in the Revenue, he could have moved anywhere by 1871.
    If you've got Ancestry, could you (if not already done)please try
    John (Bennett), aged 13, born Leek
    John, aged 14, born Leek
    John, aged 15, born Leek
    and then repeat the ages , born Ipstone
    and then repeat the ages. born Cheddleton

Just wondering actually if the Bennett could have been mistranscribed (Barnett? Barrett? Bonnett?) and if something might show up if you entered just John, with no surname.

Pam Downes

A fountain of knowledge

Unhappy Searching

Hi Pam,

I haven't searched for them residing in any county or place. I haven't put a county of birth either, lest some transcriber decided Staffs was an island called "St Affs."
    I've tried the general search, which brings up census, bmd, etc. The best should be listed first, but none looked good.
    Next, there is a "search the UK census." All years, all places. I tried that with the 3 possible birthplaces. It should produce variants, but not if names are distorted beyond recognition.
    On the 1871 search, I tried other consonants to begin the surname. And at one point, I looked for any John (surname blank) 13, 14, 15 born in Ipstones or Cheddleton.

I'm not sure that I believe that these people existed. Still wondering if the obvious John A on the 1901 is the right one. Lily should have found that one easily, so I have my doubts.

Peggy

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    Hi Pam,
    I'm not sure that I believe that these people existed. Still wondering if the obvious John A on the 1901 is the right one. Lily should have found that one easily, so I have my doubts.
    Hi Peggy,

Lily has found John on the 1901 - see message number 13 in the thread. And I've found him on the 1881, with Harriett aged 2 and baby John aged 5 months, who's John aged 20 on the 1901. Found the rest of the family on the 1901 by using the databar(? - the thing above the bottom bar - I'm no good with all the technical terms) reference numbers.

Thank you for all your efforts to try and locate John junior, and by default John senior.

Sorry Lily, but apart from the 1851 Dover census, I am now out of ideas.

Pam Downes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast