Sharon57

Default Marshall and Snelgrove - 1911

In the 1911 census my grandmother was working as a housemaid at 352 Oxford Street. The other members of the household were all assistants at a Drapery Outfitters and the head of the household was manageress - Drapery Outfitters. I can't find any shop at that address but Marshall and Snelgrove occupied 334 - 348 Oxford st, so I am wondering if 352 was the house the employees occupied. Can anyone help on this please

Reputation beyond repute

1915 PO Directory shows 352 as Marshall & Snelgrove Children's dept (late Jane Mason)

https://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

Sharon57

Default thanks

Thank you I love this site

lindadalby

hello sharon57! About one hour ago I found my great uncle on the 1911 census working as a porter at Marshall & Snelgrove. He was one of 100 males working for the company who were in one building - no females so they must have had separate accommodation! I googled the name and found this site and your message, so then registered so I could join in the chat! Not used this before so is quite exciting!! I had heard of Marshall and Snelgrove but not realised how huge they must have been - very interesting.

Peter Goodey's reply mentions "late Jane Mason"

The Times, Mon Jul 17 1911
    TODAY commences THE SUMMER SALE
    It is our custom at this time of year to reduce the price on all our model garments, including Gowns, Underlinen, Corsets, Children's and Young Ladies Costumes, Hats, Coats, Tea and Dressing Gowns
    A visit of inspection is cordially invited
    JANE MASON 352-354 Oxford Street, London, W

A similar advert appeared in July 1913 but the next advert in 1918 had Marshall and Snelgrove at that address