Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ed Bradford

Default Help with my Bremont family

I’m trying to track down my Bremont family. They are very illusive. I’ve found them in the 1841 census. They are listed as Bermont in the A*****y index. I must admit that it’s difficult to tell the difference between the R and E on the original. They are so closed up that you might also mistake the two of them for a U. I feel that the surname is Bremont because of other documents that I’ve found that I’ll explain further on.

Listed in the 1841 census, HO107/458/1, enumeration district 5, folio 52, pages 6 and 7, on Church Street in the civil parish of Gillingham, county of Kent, England are the following people:
    John Bremont, age 45 (1796), agricultural laborer, born in Kent, England
    Sarah Bremont, age 39 (1802), born in Kent, England
    John Bremont, age 19 (1822), agricultural laborer, born in Kent, England
    Sarah Bremont, age 17 (1824), born in Kent, England
    George Bremont, age 15 (1826), agricultural laborer, born in Kent, England
    Fanny Bremont, age 13 (1828), born in Kent, England
    Caroline Bremont, age 11 (1830), born in Kent, England
    Henry Bremont, age 9 (1832), born in Kent, England
    Edwin Bremont, age 7 (1834), born in Kent, England
    William Bremont, age 5 (1836), born in Kent, England
    Elizabeth Bremont, age 2 (1839), born in Kent, England
    Matilda Bremont, age 1 month (1841), born in Kent, England

Caroline is my direct line along with her parents John and Sarah.

I found the listing for the birth of a William Bremont in FreeBMD but haven’t ordered the certificate because the date seems to be wrong.

Caroline takes up living with Thomas Bradford and they have a son Thomas in Bethnal Green, Middlesex during 1849. On the birth certificate it lists her maiden name as Bremont. I have a couple other birth certificates that also have Bremont as the maiden name.

In early 1871 Thomas died and Caroline listed the family under the surname of Bremont in the census. They reside in St. George in the East at that time. Also in the census it lists Caroline’s place of birth as Maidstone, Kent. Other census’ have the surname as Bradford. In addition when Caroline died in St. George in the East during 1885, her death certificate has her as Caroline Bremont.

That’s about all that I know about the Bremont family. I can’t find them in the 1851 or 1861 census. There are very few listings in FreeBMD and in the IGI. I’ve searched all the links for Kent County that I have using all of the possible surnames that I can think of, but to no avail.

Can anyone put me on a path to find out more about my Bremont family?

Joanna Bastyan

I've just found a beaumont fanily on 1861.

Dad John
    Mum Sarah
    Plus Henry Edwin Matilda & James R

Living in Church Street Gillingham
    RG number: RG09 Piece: 479 Folio: 39 Page: 21

This looks like it could well be your family. Of course I would assume most of the older children would be married & moved away from home by this date.

Hope this help

Ed Bradford

Hmmmm Beaumont in 1861! I don't believe I searched for that surname. The first names seem right and the location matches the 1841 census. Thanks Joanna. I'll have a look at it.
    ...............Ed

Mutley

This looks like them in 1851 also under Beaumont. They are living in Church Street, Gillingham.

John Beaumont age 55 1796 Ag. Labourer born Stoke, Kent
    Sarah Beaumont age 48 1803 born Gillingham (as are the children)
    George Beaumont age 25 1826 looks like Rep. Cornaker, Carmaker?
    Henry Beaumont age 18 1833 Ag Lab
    William Beaumont age 14 1837 ?? Rapemakers Boy??
    Elizabeth Beaumont age 12 1839
    Matilda Beaumont age 10 1841
    Richard Beaumont age 7 1844

Class: HO107; Piece: 1611; Folio: 639; Page: 3;

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    George Beaumont age 25 1826 looks like Rep. Cornaker, Carmaker?
    Rope Maker

William Beaumont age 14 1837 ?? Rapemakers Boy??
    Rope Makers Boy

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Rope Maker

Rope Makers Boy
    Very obvious really, but only when pointed out.

Thanks Jan

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Very obvious really, but only when pointed out.

Thanks Jan
    I am back at work, reading a certain person's handwriting once more.......... Good practice.............

Ed Bradford

Default Yahoooooo! You found them!

By pointing the way to the Beaumont family you've opened a big door. I believe that I have them in the census from 1841 through 1891. Sarah died in 1894 and John died earlier. I also have several marriages to sort through along with possible leads on earlier generations. At the moment I'm overwhelmed with information. It will take me weeks to sort it out and document it.

I really had my mind set on the family name of Bremont. Looking back I should have been suspicious because Caroline, the daughter of John and Sarah Beaumont, can't read or write and she was the one that set me off on the Bremont tangent.

Thanks to you all (here in the south it's y'all) I'm now on the right track and have a full head of steam (can you tell I'm an old railroader).

Thanks very much. ..................Ed

Ed Bradford

Red face Gone Bust

It appears that I got excited a bit prematurely. The more data that I gathered the more I felt that I had jumped to a conclusion too early. The clincher was a marriage listing for Caroline Beaumont. I know now that the Beaumont family isn't mine. Neither is the Bermont/Bremont/Bumont family of the 1841 census. So now I'm back to square one, looking for the illusive parents of Caroline Bremont.

.................Ed

HelenBradbury

Hi Ed,
    I don't know if you are still working on the Bremont/Bradford family but I was trying to find my great-grandmother Jessie Bradford in the records. I looked at the 1881 census and could only find one family - the same as yours. She married (no records, so maybe not) henry Chidley in about 1889. In the 1891 census she is living in Cannock and has one daughter (also Jessie)born in1890. My grandmother Sarah was her second child, born in 1895. The 1901 census states that she was born in Watney Passage in 1871. Watney passage is just around the corner from Cornwall street so assumed this must be the right family. Your research seems to have busted some family myths. Namely that Jessie's parents were linen merchants who were drowned in the Irish sea. I can find no evidence of this. The fact that my Jessie also had a younger sister Emma makes me believe your research is probably correct. Do let me know if you would like to know more. I am delighted to find your research. Many, many thanks. Helen Bradbury

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast