NatashaBatsford

Default Cavalier or Roundhead?

Hi all

Now that I have a few families back to the Civil War period, I was wondering if there was a reliable way of finding out which side particular villages, or people were on.

Assuming of course there are no neat muster rolls for this period of course.

Thanks
    Tash

Geoffers

You'll be struggling - the division went through counties, parishes - even families - the conflict was described as 'this war without an enemy' because the divisions were so close. Brothers, Fathers and sons fought on opposing sides; some areas were for Parliament others for the traitor Charles Stuart - but even within those - individual parishes, manors and houses could hold out for the 'enemy'.

You might try to locate published journals or letters for your area of interest to see if any hints are given as to which side was supported.

Have a browse through this TNA research guide - Civil War Soldiers 1642-1660 it should answer some questions, but if you have any others please ask again. Specifics as to who, where and when may help in providing advice.

Reputation beyond repute

One of my direct ancestors was a Parish Constable during the Civil War in a village that for a long time was sandwiched between the two front lines.

The surviving documentation is extremely interesting and provides a good flavour of what it was like to live in an ordinary village in those times. But the documents are absolutely neutral and give no clue to the sympathies of any of the villagers.

I suspect most people kept their heads down.

NatashaBatsford

I suspect you are right Peter, I'd imagine most people were still more occupied in the business of living!!

Geoffers, I am thinking specifically of the good old Bird (Berde, Byrd) family of Claydon in Suffolk.

Head of the family at the time would have been Edmund Bird. He was born in 1623 in Claydon and baptism took place there on January 1st, 1624. He died at the age of 44 in March 1667 in Claydon.

His father was a collar maker and left a little property to his wife on his death in 1627.

Thank you both for your replies, I will go off and try to do some more research

Tash

MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    others for the traitor Charles Stuart

Geoffers - we are no longer friends.... But it's good to have passion about history. I can't say that name that begins with O and C without spitting.

Reputation beyond repute

And well he therefore does, and well has guessed,
    Who in his age has always forward pressed,
    And knowing not where heaven's choice may light,
    Girds yet his sword, and ready stands to fight...
    If these the times, then this must be the man.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by NatashaBatsford
    Geoffers, I am thinking specifically of the good old Bird (Berde, Byrd) family of Claydon in Suffolk.
    Well I've had a browse through a few books thisevening and sorry to say that I have nothing which mentions Claydon, anything useful indexed on Access to Archives?

Geoffers - we are no longer friends.
    "We are both upon the stage, and must act those parts which are assigned us in this tragedy. Let us do it in a way of honour and without personal animosities."

I can't say that name that begins with O and C without spitting.
    Same with me about all royalty since the invasion of Duke William the Bastard.

The Leveller of Charlbury

PS - Peter - good thing you didn't type in the whole poem!

MarkJ

Same with me about all royalty since the invasion of Duke William the Bastard.
    That is your knighthood out of the window Geoffers

Mark

NatashaBatsford

Well I've had a browse through a few books thisevening and sorry to say that I have nothing which mentions Claydon, anything useful indexed on Access to Archives?
    Nothing at all, although I have been doing some very interesting reading up about the Eastern Association. Thanks for looking anyway.

It's amazing to me that I spent 2 years learning about the Civil War for A Level (many years ago now) but I know nothing other than the 'big dates'

Tash