John Rose

Question HENRY WILLIAM ROSE born about 1780 -1785

My G.G.G. Grandfather was Henry William Rose. He married Elizabeth Ann Davenport at St. Bride, Fleet St. London in 1812 Assuming (probably wrongly) that he was in his early twenties at the time of marriage he would have been born around 1785. Elizabeth was born in 1783, and I have details of her parents. Henry William is listed as a school master on the marriage certificate but I have no information on where or when he was born or his parents. If anyone researching Roses can shed light on earlier generations I would be more than grateful.

John Rose

Mutley

I've had a quick look on the 1841 census and there are an awful lot with the name of Henry Rose, though either he or Elizabeth could have died by then.

Do you know of any children from the marriage?

John Rose

Default HENRY WILLIAM ROSE

Hello Mutley,

thanks for the quick response and yes the son of Henry and Elizabeth, my gg grandfather was a Henry John Rose born in 1816 and his sister was Elizabeth, born in 1818, both in London. Henry John became a printer and on marriage moved to Greenwich. There in turn he had three sons (1838, 1839 & 1842)two of whom had an extra middle name. The first of these was Henry William Tookey Rose and the second was Ransford John Tookey Rose. In both cases the name Tookey appears on their birth certificates and the father is named as Henry John Rose. This I think clears the possibility of addoption or illegitimasy. Ransford is not a very common name and why the Tookey?.

I note that a Ransford Tookey was baptised at St. Giles, Cripplegate in 1671 and in 1700 an R. Tookey (printer) printed and published a small book for children by John Bunyan in the city of London. Perhaps there was a printing connection to the Tookey family. I have also noted that there was a Tookey family living in Greenwich in the mid 1800s.

John Rose

Mutley

Henry William Tookey was baptised at St. Alphedge as the son of Henry John and Clara on 23rd September, 1838. He was born on the 26th August. They lived at Park Street and, as you say, Henry was a Printer.

Sorry, not the answer to the question you asked, I just happened to spot it in passing.

John Rose

Thanks again Mutley and I have all that. Really trying to get back beyond the father of Henry John. Perhaps someone researching the Davenport family may know the background of Henry William who married Elizabeth in 1812. My father. now long since dead used to claim that we were descended from the Roses of Kilravock although I have found nothing to back up that suggestion

John