Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Coromandel

He should be around in 1851 too.

Death announcement from the Bristol Mercury, 19 May 1855:
    'May 13, aged 60, deeply regretted, Mr Harry Andrews, of 50, Broad-street. His end was peace.'

Looks like there was a son who carried on the business, for an 1859 directory for Bristol (on the Historical Directories site) has 'Andrews and Son, paper stainers, 50, Broad street'

Edit:

The British Book Trade Index at bbti.bham.ac.uk (put www. in front) has a Thomas Weston, paper stainer, at 1 Old King Street, Bristol, trading as Weston & Co. in 1826 (or 1821-1826?); their source is quoted as Matthews Bristol Directory.

There is an 1825 PCC will for a Thomas Weston, paper hanging manufacturer of Bristol. (You can download this from Documents Online for GBP 3.50.)

Coromandel

This thread has got so long that I've forgotten what we've got so far, but in case this is new info, here's a marriage announcement from the Morning Post, 5 March 1808:

'MARRIED - Last week, Thomas Wetherby, Esq., of Queen-street, Cheapside, to Miss H. Andrews, third daughter of [Major?] Andrews, Upper Henley, Whitchurch, Hampshire.'

The Monthly Magazine & British Register (vol. 25, 1808; on Google Books) supplies a bit more detail:

'At Whitchurch, Mr. Thomas Wetherby, of London, to Miss Harriet Andrews, third daughter of John A. esq. of Henley, near Whitchurch.'

This is presumably the Harriott Andrews bapt. 1788 Monxton according to the Rootschat thread mentioned in post #14.

FamilySearch's 'England Deaths and Burials' database has a burial of a 52 year old Thomas Wetherby at Wedmore on 24 Sept. 1830 and of a Harriett Weatherby (age not stated in FamilySearch) on 13 August 1867 also at Wedmore. The Bristol Mercury of 28 Sept. 1830 tells us that Thomas Wetherby of Bernard Street, Russell Square, died at Wedmore. FreeBMD shows that the death of 79 year old Harriet Wetherby was registered in the third quarter of 1867 in the Thanet district, quite a distance away from where she ended up being buried.

It might be worth checking the National Probate Calendar (on Ancestry) to see if Harriet left a will.

Coromandel

Can anyone please help with finding the 1841 and 1851 census for Henry or Harry ANDREWS? To summarise the key facts about him, he was baptised 22 June 1795 in Andover, Hampshire (as Harry Andrews) according to FamilySearch; married Mercy Weston (she died 1836); he is believed to be the H. Andrews who is listed as a paper hangings manufacturer, paper stainer, etc. in Bristol in various records. Known addresses are 1 Old King Street near Broadmead (by March 1841, until late 1840s?) and 50 Broad Street (from 1849 until his death in 1855 aged 60).

If anyone can spare the time to look for Henry/Harry and to see if he had any relatives with him it would be most appreciated.

pennydog

1851 census HO107-1949-444-18 at Portland Cottage, St Paul's, Bristol

Henry Andrews b1795 Andover - paper Stainer
    Eliza - wife b1805 Bristol
    Charlotte Barleigh - mother in law b1781 Gloucestershire
    Jane Elford - Daughter in law b1830 Bristol - single
    James B Andrews - son b1837 Bristol - single - paper stainer apprentice
    Eliza - daughter - b1840 Horfield Glouc.
    Agusta (sic) - daughter - b1843 Bristol
    Rhoda - daughter - b1845 Bristol
    Christiana - daughter b1848 Bristol

pennydog

1841 census HO107 piece 346 book/folio7 page 8 at Beehive Cottage, Horfield

Henry Andrews b1796 - paper manuf.
    Eliza Andrews b1806
    Matilda b1827
    James b1837
    Charlotte b1840
    Jane Elford b1830

All born in county.

Coromandel

Thankyou pennydog, that's really helpful.

So it looks as if Henry/Harry had remarried:

Harry Andrews married Eliza Elford, 26 April 1836, Westbury-on-Trym, Gloucestershire (FamilySearch, film no. 1595527 IT 2-3), presumably acquiring stepdaughter Jane Elford.

Likely previous marriage for Eliza:
    Eliza Burleigh married William Elford, 21 June 1828, Henbury, Gloucs

James Burleigh Andrews, son of Henry & Eliza, born 9 Oct 1836; bapt. 6 Nov. 1842, Bristol St James.

FamilySearch also has a likely-looking marriage for Matilda Andrews, daughter of Harry (presumably from his first marriage) to Francis Mitchell in Bristol St Paul, 1846.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Wow thanks you Coromandel and Pennydog that's great. I didn't have Harriott's marriage details so that was great. Harry didn't waste much time in getting married again did he.
    As this is such a long thead I will start another one for the info on Charles.

CaroleNC

I need to figure out this website since all of you have helped with this Andrews family. I live over in the Dallas area of Texas and have been researching this Andrews family for the past couple of weeks....two of Major John Andrews girls are my direct line. Caroline Georgiana Andrews who married Rev Robert Wylde had a son Henry Wylde who married Elizabeth Barrow, Charlotte Maria Andrews Barrow's granddaughter Elizabeth. That fact never really revealed itself until I was contacted by Michelle and took a second look at this family...

I will have to peruse and study all of your advice...I never used much research except Google Books, Ancestry.com, Rootschat, Rootsweb and the differing search engines...

I wanted to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for helping us figure out this family. She is in Australia...I am in Dallas and many of you are in the UK.

Thanks EVER so much!!!

Carole in Plano, Texas

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345