oldgreyheron

Smile Hello, nervous newbie here!

Hi everyone!

My name is Mike Eccles and I have been researching my family history for a couple of years or more now. My interest was triggered by gaining access to a hand drawn tree created by a great aunt (Dorothea ELPHINSTONE-HOLLOWAY b1881) and a desire to check it and extend it. This has led me down all sorts of avenues... and to many frustrations too.

I also have a journal (actually marginal notes written in a daily devotional) created by her father (Cuthbert William ELPHINSTONE-HOLLOWAY b1833 d1916) which I am transcribing slowly - it adds data to the tree, describes military experience from the Crimea and is very difficult to read.

This focal point in the family lived in Devon, for many years in a house called Belair at Pennycross close to Plymouth.

So why have I signed up here? I guess it's probably because I have done the easy bits and I'm now pushing the edges and need help and advice. Until recently my tree existed solely on Genes Reunited (am I allowed to mention that here?) but I now have it off line as well.

I would welcome general or specific advice - I have spent a very great deal of time using ancestry.co.uk, FreeBMD and the web in general, but I've done no local research - most of the family lived in the South or South West - I'm up here in the North East.

I look forward to learning and sharing.

Mike

SBSFamilyhistory

Hello Mike,

No need to be nervous we don't bite.. well most of us don't Sorry just my odd sense of humour.

Anyway welcome to the madhouse. Look around and post your questions in the appropriate place and let us see if we can help knock down any walls.

Sue