Heyesmj

Default Heyes and Reece families Barbados

John Heyes married 1809 Mary Mcgrath in Barbados.
    Their son son John Heyes married Mary Bezsin Reece in 1847 in Bath England moved to Barbados and lived there until the death of John Heyes in 1867 (in Bath). Mary Bezsin Heyes and her children moved to Canada and arrived here before 1871.

I am trying to find information on John Heyes he is listed a a merchant, agent and was hired as an attorney in 1845 by John Dean Reece. He is listed in both Liverpool and Barbados and yet he died in Bath in 1867. He is listed as a shipping co. and there was a ship named the "John Heyes". Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Mary Jo

Wirral

21 is a bit young to be employed as an attorney (though not impossible), but very young to be listed as a merchant, agent & attorney in 1845. Is this John senior or John junior you are talking about?

The John HEYES who died in Bath in 1867 was 43, so would have been born about 1824. What evidence do you have that he is the same John HEYES who was born to John HEYES of Barbados? Do you have a copy of the will of John HEYES of Barbados?

The John HEYES jnr & snr in Barbados appear to be slave owners.

Heyesmj

Default John Heyes

Thank you for your reply and also the question.

In the Slave Registers of 1812 to 1834 I have seen that they did have some slaves. John Heyes Junior did receive some from Mrs. Mcgrath. Who would have been his Grandmother. What I can not find are any births for this family. I have his marriage entry and also his will. I have a copy of the Reece family history written by Major H. M. Reece and it is in here that he notes John Heyes being hired by John Bezsin Reece to call on his accounts. Now according to the Reece history Mary Bezsin Reece died at a young age--but she did not-- she in fact married John Heyes and after his death she and her family came to Canada, and lived in Toronto for some time and died in 1895.

I guess I would like to find his birth--where and when. The death of his parents etc. more about where they lived and where they were from--part of England or as some say Ireland?
    John senior marries Mary McGrath and John Junior marries Mary Bezsin Reece.
    Again Thank you and I really appreciate your help.

MJ

Brick wall demolition expert!

You've probably already gone down this road, but I don't see it mentioned in your postings (I think)
    At the UK National Archives, there is a will c1840 for a John Heyes of Barbados. Is he perhaps John Sr?

Adele

Heyesmj

Smile John Heyes

Adele thank you so much. No I had not looked at the UK National archives, as I really had no idea where he may have died. I will try and get a copy of the will and hopefully that will help open some doors and answer some questions.
    Again thank you.

MJ

Heyesmj

Default John Heyes Will

Adele I have just received a copy of the will, I must say it is difficult to read, but it is my impression that John Heyes had only one child and that was John Heyes Junior. It is also clear the connection with Bezsin King Reece and Edward James Dummentt. This is the John Heyes that I have been looking for, now to find his birth is my next step. Thank you again for the help.

MJ

Wiggle-Wright

Hi Mj
    My name is John and my wife's aunt married a descendant of Sydney A Heyes a son of Mary Bezsin Reece. I had just ordered the marriage and death cert for her husband John Heyes when I stumbled across the above postings. I would be most interested in hearing from you.