Degan

Default Settlement order of 1694

I have a copy of a settlement order which is headed "The humble petition of William Clark one of the sons of Thomas Clark" and it was listed in the CRO on-line catalogue under William's name.

However the body of the document does not refer to William again by name. I don't know the proper grammatical term for the way a word is abbreviated (e.g. writing the 7th, where the 'th' is written in small letters at the top right hand corner of 7) but it seems to be yo m or yo n followed by Got e or more likely Pot e.
    Does anyone have experience of settlement orders? Does this abbreviation perhaps mean 'the petitioner'? I did wonder if the first part may have been short for yeoman (it says he laboured in husbandry).

Thank you in advance and sorry the query rambles a bit.

Degan

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Degan
    I have a copy of a settlement order which is headed "The humble petition of William Clark one of the sons of Thomas Clark"
    From 1694! - You jammy..........

However the body of the document does not refer to William again by name. I don't know the proper grammatical term for the way a word is abbreviated (e.g. writing the 7th, where the 'th' is written in small letters at the top right hand corner of 7) but it seems to be yo m or yo n followed by Got e or more likely Pot e.
    It would be best if you could scan the relevant part of the document and put it online - someone on the forums may then be able to interpret the wording for you.

Degan

Default Scanning

Thanks Geoffers, however that's easier said than done (for me anyway).

I'll perhaps wait until the IT expert visits and ask him. I could then start another thread. I thought perhaps there was a pretty standard format for these settlement orders.

Degan