Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Unhappy 1911 - orphanages?

I know that 'sensitive' data has been excluded form the 1911 - but I'm wondering if this means that, in addition to the end column of each sheet being chopped off, whole pages have also been left out?

I'm looking for someone who I think should have been in the Police Orphanage in Wellesley Road, Twickenham when the 1911 census was taken. Having looked for her by name without success, I have now looked for the orphanage itself... which I also cannot find.

This sent me on a trail of looking for other hospitals and institutions in the local area - and I haven't been able to find them either!

Does anyone know if this is the case? If so I guess I'll have to be patient until 2011...

Geoffers

I haven't looked for anything in London, but hospitals and other institutions are recorded in other areas, unfortunately there are quite a few entries where inmates are only recorded by initials. You could just include an initial in the forename and insert a comma in the surname field and see if you get any close matches that way?

Could Wellesley Road be shown in a different district to Twickenham?

Tinker

Hi Lindad,
    I might be wrong, but I vaguely recall seeing somewhere that vessels, hospitals and institutions are going to be the last sections to be done in the 1911. Hopefully, it might just mean that you'll have to wait a couple more months....

Reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you need to pop into the National Archives where you can have a free browse (bit expensive otherwise)

All I can offer is that in 1901 the address was given as the Metropolitan & City Police Orphanage, Wellesley House, Hampton Road, Twickenham.

I don't suppose that's any help

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Smile THANKS!

Many thanks everyone... and good thinking Geoffers!

I've found her! The first names were spot on, but her surname was slightly wrong, age completely wrong, and the orphange address was as you said Peter, Hampton Road, and not Wellesley Road as I had been led to believe!

Puzzle solved!

I'd already spent hours looking for every possible (or so I thought) variation, but hadn't thought of that comma trick!