Bron

Default GRAPES - ST.SAVIOURS WORKHOUSE RECORDS

Hi
    Does anyone have access to St. Saviours Union Workhouse, Southwark records.

My great-great grandmother, Emma Grapes, died in the infirmary in 1895 and from the census returns must have entered between 1881 and 1891.

I would like to get hold of her record but I live in Devon, so it would be difficult.

Any information about this particular workhouse would be appreciated and/or suggestions where she may have been buried.

Many thanks
    Bron

Jan1954

Hello Bron,

Have a look at workhouses.org.uk

According to that website, the London Metropolitan Archives hold the following:

• Guardians' minutes (1835-71)
    • Mint Street Workhouse: Admissions and discharges (1852-1910); Births (1835-1911); Deaths (1835-1920); Creed registers (1870-1920)

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The St Saviour's Union Infirmary at this date was not in Southwark but at Champion Hill, Dulwich. The registration district on the certificate will be Camberwell. This institution was often shown on death certificates simply by its address, 72a East Dulwich Grove. It's now Dulwich Hospital.

As Jan says, the infirmary records are at the LMA, but when enquiring it's important to be clear about exactly which institution you want checked.

Kerrywood

browntoa

I've got to go to the LMA to look up a few things myself if you find that what you need is there

PM the information if you want , may not be for a couple of weeks if you can wait

Bron

Thanks for the offer. It would be great if you are able to find anything for me.

I have never been to LMA so I am not sure what is available and how it works.

I would love to get hold of any records connected to Emma Grapes. Her death certficate shows she died on 29th August 1895 at St. Saviours Union Infirmary and that she was a Seamstress at Newington Workhouse.

She was listed in the 1891 census in the workhouse but in 1881 she was living with her daughter, so she was admitted sometime between those dates. I am not sure whether the records would be indexed by name or whether it means going through 10 years.

A copy of her admission/death record or anything else would be very much appreciated. I am happy to cover any costs. My e-mail adddress is b (DOT) seager (AT) hotmail (DOT) com if you would like to contact me direct to make any arrangements.

Thanks again.

Bron
    Last edited by Jan1954; 26-01-2009 at 6:37 PM. Reason: Email address edited to try to foil the spammers

paulineshelley

Default Various

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    The St Saviour's Union Infirmary at this date was not in Southwark but at Champion Hill, Dulwich. The registration district on the certificate will be Camberwell. This institution was often shown on death certificates simply by its address, 72a East Dulwich Grove. It's now Dulwich Hospital.

As Jan says, the infirmary records are at the LMA, but when enquiring it's important to be clear about exactly which institution you want checked.

Kerrywood
    Dear Kerrywood
    You have already answered one of my queries namely about 72a Dulwich Grove. I was very confused by this address entered concerning one of my Southwark relations, but 'Institution' of some kind did come to mind. I thank you for clearing that up for me, although unknowingly.
    Something else you may be able to help me with - just a couple of day ago I was walking down Red Cross Road. After passing Crossbones, at the next junction I saw a building with 47 over the door and by the inscriptions on the wall assumed it to be Mint St Workhouse. Websites say that nothing exist of Mint St Workhouse, so what was I looking at?
    For about 10 years I have toyed with the idea of seeking out the LMA. I do not know where I would start there, or how I could be helped but, I suppose, the biggest thing is fear of the unknown.
    Lots of my relations ended in the workhouse and maybe even some in Crossbones if the truth be known.
    I hope you can point me in the right direction.

just a couple of day ago I was walking down Red Cross Road. After passing Crossbones, at the next junction I saw a building with 47 over the door and by the inscriptions on the wall assumed it to be Mint St Workhouse. Websites say that nothing exist of Mint St Workhouse, so what was I looking at?
    I'm afraid I haven't seen the inscriptions you refer to, so I can't really offer a suggestion. Can you tell us what they say, and perhaps someone else with better local knowledge than I can help?

The old Mint Street workhouse was not actually in Red Cross Street itself, but slightly further west. It occupied the rectangle formed by the north side of Mint Street, Queen Street, King Street and Lombard Street. Like you, I was not aware that anything remained of it. Most of the site is now an open, greened-over area.

You might find the Workhouses website of interest. Go to workhouses.org (put www. in front). Enter "Mint Street" (in quotes) in the search box top left, and select the second result. Lots of information and pictures there.

For about 10 years I have toyed with the idea of seeking out the LMA. I do not know where I would start there, or how I could be helped but, I suppose, the biggest thing is fear of the unknown.
    The LMA is a wonderfully friendly place, and not at all to be feared. The staff are extremely helpful and always happy to offer guidance to new researchers there.

If you can tell us specifically what you're looking for, with some names and dates, someone here may be able to point you in the right direction.

Kerrywood

(Mods - do you think this should be a new thread?)
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 24-01-2010 at 9:44 PM. Reason: added question for mods

paulineshelley

Thank you so much for your reassurance and offer of help.
    One of the items I have intended to follow up is a relation who died in the Mint St Workhouse - Edward LeFevre B1838/40? He died 20th July 1866 and a T Martin was in attendance (according to his DC).
    Also John Thomas LeFevre died in Mint St Workhouse in 1875.
    These are just two of quite a few of my family.
    My question now is - would the LMA in Clerkenwell help me with these queries and what is the difference between the LMA and the Archives at Kew? Would I need to specify what I wanted to look for previous to attending either or just turn up?
    One other question - what if I wanted to see Southwark inquests or post mortem papers - are these available in the LMA or Kew?
    Kind regards
    Pauline

The LMA is effectively the Record Office for Greater London and has the local records that you want.

For the Mint Street workhouse (St George the Martyr) there is a fair amount of data for the period, including admission/discharge registers, registers of deaths etc. It is all held under Southwark Board of Guardians (SOBG).

The LMA also has an almost complete run of coroner's inquest reports for the ancient borough of Southwark.

You don't need to identify the records in advance. It does save time if you do, but if you're not familiar with using online catalogues you can just turn up there, and the staff will guide you to the relevant records.

To look at original documents, or to print from microfilms, you will need to register for a History Card when you arrive. Check their website carefully for the ID that you'll need to take.

Let us know how you get on?

Kerrywood