Terry Penn

Default Iron Arms/ironbridge Tavern

Dear List,

My Aunt, (88 years), occasionally comes up with a memory of her childhood. She recently told me that she accompanied her Grandmother sometimes to the 'Iron Arms", on the corner opposite "The Cut". She would sit on the step outside waiting for her Grandmother to collect weekly maintenance from her Grandfather, who had gone off with another woman. I have not found an "Iron Arms", I am wondering if the "Ironbridge Tavern" was what she meant, the other being a local name.

She also gave me the name of the lady in question, and one of her children. For a long time I thought my Gt. Grandfather had divorced and remarried, no wonder I couldn't find lthe details. None of the family would ever admit that he "lived in Sin".

Regards, Terry

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

I remember there was an Irongate Wharf which was at the end of the Paddington Basin 'The Cut', and there was a pub on the corner with Praed Street but can't remember its name, if this is the same part of London. In the early 70's when they built the London Metropole Hotel, they had the name of the street changed because they thought having Wharf in the address was down market, how wrong could you be.
    Keith

Terry Penn

Default Iron Arms/Ironbridge Tavern

Thanks for your help, Keith. I found the "Limehouse Cut" in an old A-Z sent to me by my brother (5/- 25p). I hope I will be able to jog my Aunt's memory further by talking about the area. I couldn't find Praed Street, nor do I know the Paddington Basin, but she might.

Thanks again,

Regards, Terry

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Terry,

www.streetmap.co.uk
    enter Praed Street
    select 'London street'
    It looks to be a VERY short street which is probably why you can't find it on your map.
    The canal is clearly shown and I wonder if Little Venice was formerly the Paddington Basin, or else if the Basin is the long straight bit which looks to be the end of the canal (near where the writing says St Marys Hospital).

Pam Downes

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Thumbs up

Pam
    Paddington Basin is the branch off Little Venice which run's past St mary's Hospital, over the past few years this whole area is being redeveloped with the Goverment giving St. Mary's £360 million to develop their part of the site.
    Keith