Lins_Australia

Default CB - Possibly Not Companion of the Bath ?

My great grandfather JOSEPH AINSCOW was born 1851 - Crewe - Cheshire.

He studied at Manchester University (then Owens College) - and was a member of the Crewe Mechanics Institute.

He was a recipient of the Sir Joseph Whitworth scholarship and medal - and that organisation has confirmed that fact - and that as of 1873 he was a student.

The London Gazette gives him 3 mentions 1875 - 1878 re a patent in his name.

He migrated to Australia in 1877 and had a very considerable engineering career with railways / tramways / civil construction in several Australian states.

THE QUESTION AS TO CB:

His obituary of 1913 gives his name as JOSEPH AINSCOW, CB.

Australia honours website shows all Australia civil recipients of the Companion of the Order of the Bath since Federation (1901) - and he isn't on that list. I can find no mention of him in London Gazette or The Times to do with such a British Honour.

Which leaves me with two options:
    1) Any other avenue available to check if his CB really is a Companion of the Bath, or:
    2) Any suggestions from Forum members as to what else CB might be, given the brief background I have given.

Lindsay

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lins_Australia View Post
    2) Any suggestions from Forum members as to what else CB might be, given the brief background I have given.
    Chartered Builder, perhaps?
    Only a guess, but you could try googling it for any results relevant to Australia.

Kerrywood

Brick wall demolition expert!

Is your obituary a transcribed obituary? a faded newspaper? a typesetter's error perhaps?
    I looked up acronyms and the one that stood out was C.E. for civil engineer. Is it possible that the B was meant to be an E?

Adele

Lins_Australia

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    Is your obituary a transcribed obituary? a faded newspaper? a typesetter's error perhaps?
    I looked up acronyms and the one that stood out was C.E. for civil engineer. Is it possible that the B was meant to be an E?

Adele
    Thank you Adele. You are quite right that it is from a newspaper clipping and that the "B" is smudged somewhat - and indeed may well be an E.
    The Chairman of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Whitworth Awards Panel is currently in Australia - and we will be meeting with him re a mutual interest in Joseph Ainscow and his background. An opportunity to clarify this point.
    Thanks for your input - it makes much more sense as C.E. given his engineering background.
    Anybody else with an English / Australian Engineer Ancestor who used initials C.E. ?? Any Engineers care to comment ?