Thread: Dilwyn Church

CornishPixie

Default Dilwyn Church

Can anyone help

I'm a bit lost
    So I'm tracing my great great grandfather John Harris. He was born in Dilwyn around 1834. While tracing him on the 1841 census I think I've found him aged 8 living with a load of people he isn't related too, also the address is listed as: Dilwyn, Dilwyn, Church Dilwyn? I've looked at so many church discriptions but none have mentioned about it substituting as an Orphanage?...

Does anyone know if there was an Orphanage or Workhouse in Dilwyn during the 1840's?
    Or does anyone have any opinion as to why he isn't living with his parents?

Thanks in advance

Jan1954

Have you seen the Dilwyn website? I have not explored the possibility of an orphanage/workhouse being there, but it is worth a look.

CornishPixie

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Have you seen the Dilwyn website? I have not explored the possibility of an orphanage/workhouse being there, but it is worth a look.
    Yeah, thanks, I found it earlier and had a quick look to see if I could find a forum, I've just looked again and I found a link to a history site of a boarding county but there was nothing of interest.
    I just looked on workhouses.com and the nearest workhouse was in Weobley so it wouldn't have the same address. Hmmm, I wonder what happened.

Kelvin Skyrme

Default John Harris, Dilwyn

Hi Cornish Pixie,
    I've just joined the forum so I've been checking out my local Herefordshire pages. I believe there is a transcription error in the page of the 1841 census which you refer to. Looking at the original, I believe there are 12 individuals in the building, not 8. The others being William Starr, Schoolmaster, Elizabeth Starr, Frances Starr and Ann Nash, Servant. This makes me think that it was a small school rather than a workhouse.
    The address is described as 'Township of Church Dilwyn' which includes Dilwyn Village, Dilwyn Common and some surrounding farms, rather than meaning Dilwyn Church.
    Best Regards,
    Kelvin.