Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Richard Miller

Smile Ceylon Marriage Rev. A. N. Garrett and Edith Mary Miller Abt. 1915

Hi forum members

I am seeking details of the marriage of my grandparents on my mother's side of my family. My grandfather Rev. Alfred Norton Garrett was Vicar of St. Peters (Garrison) Church and acting chaplain to the forces, Fort Colombo, Colombo, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka).
    He had recently taken up his post of Vicar when he married Edith Mary Miller a school mistress (who liked to be called Muriel Edith Mary Miller) at some point between 1915 and 1917 in Ceylon. I believe their marriage took place at St. Peter's Church, the day after my grandmother had arrived by the Bibby Company Liner the "Herefordshire" from England and their marriage was I believe reported in the Times of Ceylon newspaper.
    At the time of my mothers birth on 25th May 1918 her parents were living at Colpetty which is a district of Colombo I believe. My grandparents and my mother returned to England in 1922.

Any help to establish the exact date and location of this marriage and witness and possibly sources of photographs of it it would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard

I had a quick look in the Overseas Marriages on FMP but couldn't spot it. My grandfather was manager of the Galle Face Hotel in Columbo at this time and I received quite a bit of help from the Rootsweb mailing list for Ceylon.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Richard Miller

Smile Hi Sue

Thanks for your message. I have left a similar inquiry on the Sri Lankan section of rootsWeb site. No answer as yet.

Possibly my grandfather may have met your grandfather as I know from family photos that I have on my computer that that he and my grandmother attended society functions such as Colombo Sailing club events.

Best wishes

Richard

Tinto

Hello Richard,
    I am interested in your Edith Mary Miller and wonder if you know her background.
    I have an Edith Mary Miller, born 27 Jan 1888, Islington, London, in my tree but do not know what became of her. Her parents were David Miller, Jewel Case Maker, and Mary Cundill.
    Thanks,
    Tinto

Richard Miller

Smile Edith Mary Miller

Hi Tinto

Sorry I cant help you my Edith Mary Miller was born in 1893 at 41 Rucklidge Avenue, Willesden, Middlesex, England the daughter of Henry Lewes Colebrooke Miller and Elizabeth Lockyer (nee Williamson).

Good hunting

Regards

Richard

Tinto

Hello Richard,
    Thank you for your prompt reply with details of your Edith Mary Miller.
    Back to the drawing board for me!
    Cheers,
    Tinto

Tinto

Hello again Richard,

Friends helping me with my Miller family have sent this:

"We wonder if the Richard Miller who you made contact with has "picked up" on the right passenger list for his Edith Miller, as the Muriel E Miller to whom he referred, went to Ceylon as a Planter, which seems odd if she was married just after arriving there with an occupation of school mistress. We'll leave it to you if you wish to contact him about that. He's probably got her arrival passenger list which gives different information.

Person:Miss Muriel E MILLER
    Departure date:11 December 1915
    Port of departure:Liverpool
    Destination port:Rangoon
    Destination country:Burma
    Ship:HEREFORDSHIRE

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Tinto

Richard Miller

Hi Tinto

I have seen the original document for the list of passengers on the Bibby Line ship the Herefordshire dated Dec 13th 1915, which I thinks was the date of departure from Liverpool.

I agree the profession of Planter is wrong for my "Muriel" E Miller. However her age is given as 22 which fits with the birth of my Edith Mary Miller (who was born in January 1893) who married my grandfather Rev. Alfred Norton Garrett sometime before 25 May 1918 (when my mother was born) and I at least presume 9 months before this.

Also I have original newspaper cuttings from Ceylon newspapers which my grandmother kept, concerning the wedding of my grandparents which say she had my grandmother had arrived on the "Bibby" Liner Herefordshire the day before she married my grandfather. Unfortunately none of the newspaper cuttings have a date on! This is why I posted the thread originally.

Thanks for your interest.

Best wishes

Richard

Tinto

Hi Richard,

I received this from my friends today:
    Have been having a "dig around" for Richard Miller's Garrett line, (which he probably already has sorted himself, but one or two of the underneath "snippets" may help him) Unfortunately, the London Times does not seem to have any details of the wedding, so we cannot help him there. We've tried searching in lots of different ways. A lot of the Birth, Marriage & Death announcements say " Ceylon papers please copy " so we had hoped that it may work in reverse, but unfortunately not.

This is the GARRETT info.

1871 Alfred is aged 2 at 35, Clarence Square, Alverstoke, Hampshire, born Gosport, Hampshire, with mother Eliza aged 47, a Clergyman's wife, born Devonport, Devon & siblings William G Garrett a Scholar aged 17 born Bishop's Sutton, Hampshire & Annie a Scholar aged 14 born Devonport, Devon. Eliza's husband is not there. Similarly on the 1861 census Eliza is on her own with the older children, shown as " Wife of a Naval Chaplain " They were living at 17, Victoria Place, Stoke Damerel, Devon.

1881 Eliza is 55, Annie Caroline 24 & Husband/Father William Whitehall GARRETT aged 53 at The Vicarage, Cramlington, Northumberland. William Whitehall GARRETT was born in Winchester, Hampshire. His occupation is difficult to read but seems to say:- Chaplain and Naval Instructor RN Retired Last Vicar of Cramlington once of Oxford.
    The boys Alfred & William are not there.
    1891 Alfred is back home with parents & sister Annie. He is aged 22 a Theological Student. They are still at the Vicarage, Cramlington. Also there is Amelia Burnett aged 79 single, described as "sister-in-law"
    In 1901 William senior appears to be an Inmate in St. Bernard's Home, Lingfield, Surrey.

Cannot trace Alfred after 1891 until his voyage to Ceylon, as below.

Person:Rev Alfred N GARRETT
    Departure date:9 July 1915
    Port of departure:Liverpool
    Destination port:Colombo
    Destination country:Ceylon
    Ship:WORCESTERSHIRE ( Bibby Line )
    ( Transcript actually shows Destination of Rangoon, Burma, also his name is given as Rev. Alfred ? GARRETT, but image shows as above )

Aged 46 Minister of Religion.

He travelled out, 1st class, with the following group.

Mr. Malcolm ATKINS aged 30 Civil Engineer.

Mrs Susan ATKINS aged 27

Miss Marian ATKINS aged 5 & Master Sinclair ATKINS aged 3.

Also in the group was Mr. Stanley HOWARD aged 33 a Tea Planter.

Birth of Alfred Norton Garrett March Qtr 1869 2b 503 Registration District of Alverstoke, Hampshire, England.

All the Best,
    Tinto

Richard Miller

Hi Tinto

Thanks for your interest in my research.

All that you have posted is correct.

My great grandfather William Whitehall Garret who married Eliza Burnett 28 Aug 1852 at St. James' Church, Devonport, Devon, England, does not appear on Census records in this country because he was at sea as a Naval Chaplain and Instructor.
    From 1855 to 1867 serving during the Crimean War on the Baltic Campaign and during the trade wars with China in the late 1850's and until he returned to England to complete his Naval service on a training vessel for boys moored in Portsmouth between 1867 and 1871.

After completing missionary training William Whitehall Garrett son Alfred Norton Garrett (my grandfather) took up a clerical post in Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia in 1895 and returned to England in 1910 after completing various clerical positions in Queensland, New South Wales and South Australia including a year as an Assistant Master (Religion and Art) at North Sydney C of E Grammer School from 1902 to 1903.

Best wishes

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast