Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    trevorjm

Default STEPHENS, Percival James, Aus to Amiens, Fran

I'm interested in this person, who would have been my grand-uncle ... well, my Mother's uncle to be sure!
    Percy was a Sargeant with the Australian Graves Services (AGS), formerly of the 3rd Field Ambulance, 1st AIF.
    He applied to be demobilised from the AGS in Amiens, France, on July 8th 1921. His reasons were that he had a French wife (who had lost three sons in the 1914-1918 war), had a contract for lease of house and land, and had a deed of gift of business and promises (goodwill?) from his wide's parents. I believe that they began life together in or about Amiens.
    The Australian National Archives have images of a number of documents, but nothing with more detail than that mentioned above.
    Percival's sister (my grandmother) was Laura Lydia Stephens, who married Henry West Farnell. They lived at Neilborough, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia.
    Trevor

Procat

Hi Trevor,

Would I be correct in assuming you are after information about his post military life in France?

If so this thread may be more suited to our European forum and I can move it for you - I would also update the title.

trevorjm

Default Thanks Procat

You're correct in your assumption ... and I'd be most grateful if you would shift the notice. Any thoughts about a more effective title?
    Regards,
    Trevor

Procat

Thread moved and title updated (titles have character limitations)

trevorjm

Default Thanks Procat!

Trevor

pottoka

Question Percival James Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by trevorjm View Post
    Percy was a Sargeant with the Australian Graves Services (AGS), formerly of the 3rd Field Ambulance, 1st AIF.
    He applied to be demobilised from the AGS in Amiens, France, on July 8th 1921. His reasons were that he had a French wife (...) I believe that they began life together in or about Amiens.
    Can you explain to an ignorant Pommy what Percy would have been doing while he was in the AGS, please?

Do you know/think/believe that he married his French wife before he was demobilised?

trevorjm

Default CWG?

Thanks for your message pottoka!

Percy served in the 3rd Field Ambulance, and stayed on in France in the AGS. My assumption has been that the Australian Graves Service did work similar to that of the Imperial War Graves Commission, eventually becoming part of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. I have to say that I've found it difficult to find out much about the AGS, let alone Percy!

As for marriage, I have no idea at all! There is a great void in our family about the somewhat mysterious Percival!

Cheers,
    Trevor

pottoka

As you are looking for information less than 100 years old, it has to be obtained directly from the Town Hall where the wedding took place (difficult if it happened in Walkabout Creek, but people said Amiens because it sounded better!).

I tried to ring the Town Hall in Amiens today but no-one answered, either because it was five to twelve and they'd all gone off for lunch or, more charitably, maybe they were short-staffed as the north of France is snow-bound. I'll try again during the week.

The problem is that we have very little information to go on - no date and no name for the wife. There are ten-year tables where all marriages during a particular decade are listed in alphabetical order (by the man's surname, luckily!). However, with more and more people doing genealogy, more and more Town Halls, especially the bigger ones, refuse to do anything which approaches research and will only deliver a certificate if you can give a fairly close date. That's why I want to ask them how flexible they are. So keep your fingers crossed!

pottoka

Unhappy Talking at cross purposes

Well, I got through to the Town Hall today, but the conversation was quite surreal ... I don't know if the French have the monopoly on not listening, or not taking in what you've already said, but when she told me to write and ask for the birth record of your uncle's wife because it would have her marriage and death dates written in the margins despite the fact that I had said from the beginning that I didn't know the wife's name, I think I could have cheerfully strangled her!!

She also kept saying that she wouldn't be able to send me a marriage record of a Percival James Stephens, Australian, to a widowed Frenchwoman ... because it might not be the right one!! I suggested that there was a likelihood of there being less records under that name than under Jean Dupont (= John Smith), and she immediately thought that the groom's name was Jean Dupont and panicked ... I suppose it takes all sorts!

Is there any way of finding anything more out about your uncle? His date of birth and his place of birth (these are recorded on a marriage certificate in France). His parents' names, including his mother's maiden name?

That way I can write to the Town Hall with as much information about him as possible so that it can be checked against a record if they find one.

trevorjm

Default Percy's details

Pottoka! Thank you for taking up this quest ... dnd the French bureaucracy to boot ... do mind that brick wall!

Percy was born in 1892, I think in September, to Albert William Stephens and Lydia Stephen, nee Randall.

That's as much as I have.

Best regards,

Trevor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast