Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    HelenVSmith

Hi

Alexander in Ireland is still likely to be from Scotland originally as there was quite a lot of Scottish immgrants to Ireland from the 1600s onwards particularly in the Northern counties.

Regards
    Helen

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Helen

Thanks for jogging my memory,you are right.

My husband's family, McCULLEY did just that. They transported cattle from Scotland to Ireland by sea.

I expect family forenames would have been carried on through the generations.

Cheers
    Marj.

Thanks Fiona we will wait and see what eventuates. With so many named Alexander our paths may not have actually crossed!

However travel from Queensland down to Dubbo does not appear to be an impossibility.

We shall see!

Marj.

FionaThompsonSchrier

Post Origins of McCullagh, MacCullagh, MacCullough, McCulloch etc etc

Hi Marj
    discovered some info about origins of the surname, which I recorded ages ago. I can't recall where I got it from (so hopefully I'm not stepping on any copyright toes...)

"Surname History of McCullagh:
    MacCullagh and MacCullough are very numerous in Ulster and almost entirely confined to that province. They may have a native Irish, or a Scottish origin. The Irish original is Mac Con Ulaidh or Mac Cu Ulaidh, both meaning "son of the hound of Ulster", and generally anglicised as MacCullagh, though they also sometimes appear as Coloo, MacAnaul and MacNully. The family were based in east Co. Antrim and north Down. The Scottish origins are various, coming from Mac Cullaich, from cullach, meaning "boar", common in Galloway, and from Mac Lulich (lulaogh meaning "little calf"), which originated in Argyllshire. A member of this latter family was briefly King of Scots. In Scotland, the surname is generally given today as MacCulloch. In Ulster MacCullagh is more common in the west of the province, in particular in Co. Tyrone, while MacCullough appear more frequently in the east, in counties Antrim and Down."

Thank you very much Fiona. That information is fantastic.

King of Scots eh! maybe we both share rights to a castle somewhere!

East County Down looks like my territory!

I appreciate your help
    Marj.

FionaThompsonSchrier

Smile McCullagh's arvd in Qld aboard "Golden Dream"

Quote Originally Posted by FionaThompsonSchrier View Post
    Hi Marj
    Hugh put that post on there for me (thanks Hugh)! Anyway I am only just starting to look at this, so my info is fairly slim at this stage.

'My' McCullagh's came from County Down. This Donny Horagh/Denihora/Derry Hora location eludes me - that info was passed to me from a relative - so may be spelt completely differently & is indeed giving me the horrors.

My Great Grandfather, Alexander John McCullagh (b. abt 1830, Co Down), came to the Darling Downs, Qld sometime between 1861-1867. I haven't researched what vessel they arrived on. He died on the Darling Downs in 1891. The 7 children that I know of were born btwn 1853-1869, either in N.Ireland or Australia.

I can't see any William Henry's or James' amongst them. I do not have info that any of them ended up in NSW, but not to say that they didn't.

Regards, Fiona
    Just to add a bit more to this info, for anyone thinking they might also be related to this mob of McCullagh's.

I have discovered they arrived (i.e. Alexander McCullagh & Wife Ann/Anna (nee Munro), with 5 of their children, including my great grandmother Maria Ann McCullagh, aboard the "Golden Dream" on 28 May 1863.

It was spelt 'McCulloch' in the records. Listed as arriving were Alexander, his wife and 5 children:
    Alex 31, Ann 30, John Alex 10, William D 9, Maria A 8, Samuel 4, Joseph infant.

Thank you to the clever people on Brit Gen for giving me some search tips to find that info
    Last edited by FionaThompsonSchrier; 08-03-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: careless typos

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Hugh I tried without success to contact Fiona. I have Gwynnes from Cavan who came to the Darling Downs. Not the names mentioned but would like to see if we can find a connection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12