Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Carrie Meerten

Question National Registration Identity Card

What was a National Registration Identity Card for ??? anybody know ??
    Was if for during the war ?

I have my grandmothers original card, it has been stamped 1943, then when address changed in 1946 and 1948.

National registration office has been stamped as WKE , what is it short for ?

BeeE586

Default Identity Cards

Yes, they were issued after the start of WW2. As far as I remember areas and streets were identified in much the same way as Post Codes today. I lived in Blackpool upto 1942 and my card number was NCBM 40/3, where I think NCBM identified the area, 40 was the house and I was third in the house. My grandfather as head of household was 40/1, grandmother was 40/2 and my younger sister was 40/4. We kept a small hotel and guests were supposed to show them on arrival when they presented their ration books. They could also be demanded by police, air raid wardens and so on and I was occasionally asked to produce mine by railway guards, especially on overnight journeys. Can't help with the initials - if I ever knew I have forgotten.

No doubt there was more to it but I think this bit is correct.

- Eileen

busyglen

I've still got my ID card too, but it's filed away at the moment. Unfortunately I can't remember what mine has on it, and only being a youngster in the early 40's didn't take a lot of notice. Still kept it though.

Glenys

BeeE586

Default Identity Cards

Checked with a friend who agrees with what I wrote - she was in College at the time of issue so her number was 1/83 - 1 to identify the College and she was the 83rd to be registered. Our collective memory is that the identity card number was later put on Medical Cards, i.e. used when you registered with a doctor.

Eileen -

Rod Neep

National Identity cards look like this.

(This one belongs to someone that you might know)

Every change of address had to be recorded officially.

Regards
    Rod

Knowledgeable and helpful

Anne that site is fantastic so much information added to favourites think I shall be visiting often.

I still have mine and mymother and brothers national identity cards also my Husbands family's so many memories

sandie

randellrl

I also have my identity card and those of my father and mother. I also have my ration books. I am wondering if any useful information can be gleaned from arkives etc. using the registration numbers?

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Neep View Post
    National Identity cards look like this.

(This one belongs to someone that you might know)
    -snip-

Regards
    Rod
    Nope, never heard of those people

just kidding, nice to see that you are still around Rod.

I wonder if they had to have identity cards in Australia - I shall go google and find out.

ChristineR

PS edit
    "Australians were given an identity card during the Second World War. This scheme, similar to the British identity card, relied on the imposition of rations as an incentive for registration and production of the card, and it was dropped soon after the hostilities had ended. "
    Last edited by ChristineR; 04-01-2008 at 3:22 AM. Reason: add info

paulhendley

I've got my father's national registration identity card dated june 1948, i was wondering if anyone know's how i can trace it back to my father's service in the raf in ww2 ?.
    Does anyone know where i can contact to help me do this.
    thanks paul hendley

Reputation beyond repute

I've got my father's national registration identity card dated june 1948, i was wondering if anyone know's how i can trace it back to my father's service in the raf in ww2?
    There's no relationship at all that I know of. If you want his service record you need to look here...

https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast