cornwallis

Default Susannah Margretta Coker

I am trying to find more information about Susannah's first marriage. According to IGI she was married on 6th June 1760, at Wimborne Minster to a Captain George Brown. I'm trying to find out who George's father was and wondered if he'd been named on the marriage certificate, but I've hit a brick wall and wondered if anyone was able to point me in the right direction. I've phoned the records office but they said it hasn't been transcribed, so I'm now stuck for ideas.

Many thanks

Jan1954

Hello Cornwallis - welcome to Brit-Gen,

The entry on the IGI for this marriage is a submitted entry and so needs to be treated with caution. It may be that the records for Wimbourne Minster are available on microfilm, so it could be worth contacting your local Family History Centre. Have a read of this sticky about the IGI.

The details of the respective fathers were not recorded on the Parish Registers until 1837. However, it may be that he was a witness. Have a look here to see what to expect to find recorded.

You may need to take a trip to the Dorset Records Office, unless someone on the forum is popping in that way soon.....

cornwallis

Thank you for that information Jan, and yes, you may be right a trip to Dorset Records Office might be the only way of finding out.

Dorset Girl

Hi Cornwallis,

According to the Parish Records Collection George Cornwallis Brown was from Copperspath in Merse in Scotland. No parents mentioned but two witnesses - John Fleming and Su White (possibly Susan).
    Hope this helps.
    Marion

There is an entry in The Gentleman's Magazine for 1760 (indexed on Ancestry) for a marriage on 4 June 1760 between George Cornwallis Brown and Miss Coker. There is also an entry for the GM of July 1767 to say that George Cornwallis Brown was replaced on 28 July 1767 as Captain of the 36th Regiment of Foot.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

cornwallis

Thank you so much for checking this out for me. It certainly seems to confirm that the couple were married at the beginning of June 1760, shame there's no mention of his parents, but it now looks like I'm off to searching in Scotland to find a baptism for him, although I've no idea where on earth those places mentioned are, there's nothing showing on the map, but it all adds to the fun!.
    Thanks again

The IGI Pilot Site has the following baptisms, all from Wimborne Minster, Dorset, all with George Cornwallis Brown listed as the father.

Susannah Robiniana Brown 23 Nov 1761
    George Robbins Brown 30 Sep 1763
    Janet Brown 30 Jan 1767

There is a burial for him in Bristol 29 June 1767
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Dorset Girl

Parish Records give the marriage date as 6th June 1760. It looks as though Copperspath was another name for Cockburnspath -details of which can be found on Genuki - https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/BEW...ath/index.html
    Marion

cornwallis

Brilliant, thank you so much, I'd found his 3 children on IGI, it's proving more difficult to get back to the previous generation which is why I'd hoped his father might have been named on the marriage certificate, but now I've got a great starting point to search for his parents.