Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Aussie Shep

Default Army or Navy?? WW2

William J Nelson born 1917 Bermondsey London died 1943 Battersea London England.
    On his death certificate it states he died from kidney failure.
    can anyone tell what uniform he is wearing army or navy or anything really.
    He is pictured he with his wife Eva who died in 1941 from TB they only married in 1940, so sad really they both died so young.
    https://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps3adcf3c9.jpg
    https://i584.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps9863d62c.jpg
    Thanks in advance

len gooby

army for sure

A fountain of knowledge

ditto len.
    Army definitely although there are no unit/formation/rank or regiment badges although I can see a coloured recognition strip on his right epaulette but it doesn't mean anything to me I'm afraid.
    Young age to die from kidney failure poor chap.

Aussie Shep

Thankyou timbo58. i was curious as on his death certificate it states that he died from kidney failure due to his kidneys growing since birth. so how could he of joined the army?

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Shep View Post
    Thankyou timbo58. i was curious as on his death certificate it states that he died from kidney failure due to his kidneys growing since birth. so how could he of joined the army?
    To be honest it wouldn't be possible to know the answer to that one - he perhaps didn't reveal that fact when signing up/being called up?

The 'condition' may only have been noticed on an autopsy perhaps then he didn't know himself?

If he didn't have any problems with his kidneys until they finally failed then he wouldn't have know there was anything wrong.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Aussie Shep

According to family he was quite sick as a child/ teenager.

A fountain of knowledge

interesting thread.
    He could well have not told them on enlistment -it wouldn't be the 1st time I've heard of lying on age so not informing them of a medical condition seems logical also perhaps?

Aussie Shep

I might look at enquiring into purchasing his army record if not too pricey.
    Yeah I had a few descendants in Ww1 who lied about their age and then died on the battlefields.

A fountain of knowledge

The MOD charge around £30 last time I checked -there are downloadable applications on the veterans-UK website for this.

The MoD are the only people who'll have the full service record after 1922 as otherwise they are restricted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast