Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mdwingfield

Talking

It was my pleasure

It was only on the off chance, my googling Georges name that I came across this site, so thank YOU! I hadn't considered that other people would have some of his photos, but of course they would, if he was a photographer?! duh. So thanks again. You have inspired me to keep going with my Laver research, and good luck with yours!

I've uploaded a photo of George Laver just in case you were curious

All the best again!

Michael

CharlS

Hello, Jane I found this thread through Google and don't know if you're still interested in this bit of your family history...But if you are I'm one of Archibald and Elizabeth Cadels granddaughters. My dad used to speak very fondly of his "Aunt Nell" and I think he lived with them as a very small boy during the 1914-18 war when they lived in Thornton Heath. Archibald was an ambulance driver during the war and Claude did do very well during the war and afterwards too. They did move to Sanderstead eventually although my dad lost touch with the family.

CharloS

Jan1954

Hello CharloS - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Jane is still a member of the forum and visited us as recently as a couple of weeks ago.

However, if you click on her user name, a drop-down box will appear. Of the options, one is for sending an email, which you can do to let her know that you also have an interest.

Good luck with your research,

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello

Another late comer, ref the boys in 'dresses' check this link out for Breeching

https://en.
    wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeching_(boys)

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by CharlS View Post
    Hello, Jane I found this thread through Google and don't know if you're still interested in this bit of your family history...But if you are I'm one of Archibald and Elizabeth Cadels granddaughters. My dad used to speak very fondly of his "Aunt Nell" and I think he lived with them as a very small boy during the 1914-18 war when they lived in Thornton Heath. Archibald was an ambulance driver during the war and Claude did do very well during the war and afterwards too. They did move to Sanderstead eventually although my dad lost touch with the family.

CharloS
    Hello distant relative! Just goes to show it's sometimes worthwhile looking through your spam folder on email (which is where the notification of your post had gone!).

Definitely interested! We have a double connection in that Elizabeth Cadel was Ellen's sister (the two Cadel brothers married Hancock sisters).

My nan was also called Ellen - her father was William Hancock (brother of Elizabeth and Ellen). My daughter's middle name is Ellen after my nan, so this name is carrying on. My nan also used to talk fondly of her Aunt Nell. If I recall correctly without checking through everything, she was a school teacher and my nan used to walk to school with her.

I found that Claude had a company that seemed to do quite well (again need to check back what that was, not been through it all recently).

Have you been able to get Archibald's WW1 service records? I found them on Ancestry.

If you wish to compare more notes, feel free to message me on here and we can exchange email addresses

Just trying to work out what relation we are, our shared ancestors would be William and Harriet Hancock (Elizabeth/Ellen/William's parents), who would be our 2xgreat grandparents, so I think that makes us third cousins...

Blueshark

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_Adams View Post

Family lore has it that this is a photo of my nan's aunt, Ellen Hancock, who was born in 1886.

I've been doing a bit of research and this is what I've come up with....

I've just received the marriage certificate of Ellen Hancock and Claude Stanley Cadel who were married in 1911 in Poplar. You can just about make out on the photo that the photographer was in Thornton Heath (name of Laver), and I have found 2 births with the surname Cadel and mother's maiden name of Hancock in Croydon (very near Thornton Heath). They are Bernard C Cadel (1916) and Norman L Cadel (1921).

My theory is that this photo was taken for Norman's christening, so 1921 (he was born Q1).

Just looking for opinions on whether:

a) dress for early 1920s about right
    b) difference in age of the 2 kids about right for those births

I've posted about this picture on here before about the possibility that the 2 children (or at least the older one) was male despite wearing a dress and was given lots of info on this being quite likely (I think facially it looks more like a boy than a girl).

Through searches of The Times and the London Gazette I've pieced together a fair bit of information on the Cadels - they had a lead/copper company which later evolved into a plumbers merchants I believe. I've also established that the younger son, Norman, had quite an army career and found reference to him being a Major in 1959. I've also thought the fact that if this is c. 1921 and Claude Cadel is still in army uniform he was more of an army man than just enlisting for WW1, if you see what I mean, and this might tie in with son(s) being in the army. (I've found references to Bernard being in the army in WW2 but not after.)

Anyway, thoughts/opinions would be appreciated please.
    Sounds as if your logic is sound. Pardon my boldness.

richard40

A lot of photographers had favourite spots in churches for that type of picture.
    As your above relative Charl S is in Bromley, not a million miles from Selhurst, might it not be possible to visit the church( alway's assuming it remains), if established the picture is taken there, possible records may be found from the church record.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12