Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default A 'murder', an 'unfortunate accident' or ?

I need to do a little more work, but I feel that I can resolve the issues raised in 2 of my previous threads. Those threads were:
    "An 'obscure' location in England" - started September 30, 2009
    "Ball-Norman marriage" - started September 22, 2009

It may read like one of the 'penny-dreadfuls' from the early 1900's, but circumstances seem to fit. If the 'super-sleuths' of B-G can come up with alternatives, I welcome them.

More information to follow

Colin

Geoffers

Colin, to make things easier, I've linked the thread titles to the actual threads to make things easier for forum members. I hope I have got the correct threads, if not, let me know and I'll have a hunt around and amend them.

JAP1

Default What is the Resolution?

Hello Colin,

As someone who has been involved in your earlier threads, I'd really appreciate it if you could post a brief summary here of how and why you feel that you can "resolve the issues raised" in your earlier threads.

And which specific issues you feel you have been able to resolve and how ...

It would really help and would make life easier!

JAP

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Colin, to make things easier, I've linked the thread titles to the actual threads to make things easier for forum members. I hope I have got the correct threads, if not, let me know and I'll have a hunt around and amend them.

Thanks Geoffers
    Those are the correct threads

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by JAP1 View Post
    Hello Colin,

As someone who has been involved in your earlier threads, I'd really appreciate it if you could post a brief summary here of how and why you feel that you can "resolve the issues raised" in your earlier threads.

And which specific issues you feel you have been able to resolve and how ...

It would really help and would make life easier!

JAP
    Hello to you in sunny OZ, from a chilly mortal in Southern Ontario - the so-called 'Banana-Belt'.

As you have been diligently following my earlier threads, the material that has since arrived has satisfied me of the situations that were perplexing me.

After 'brekkie' I'll inform one and all of my findings.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Part 1 of this was the 'obscure' location in England. It turns out to be Washford. This is in the Registration district of Williton and the Parish was Old Cleeve.

The family in question was the Norman family. Here is the background on John Norman the father of Arthur J.
    John was born in 1852
    At the time of the 1871 he was aged 19 and the eldest of 7 children. He was single and the address was Stoates Place, St. Decumans, Watchet. In late 1873, he married Jane Edwards, daughter of James Edwards. Jane had 3brothers, James, Thomas and Robert.
    John and Jane, set up home in the Village of Washford in the Parish of Old Cleeve. In the 1881 census, John listed his occupation as a General Labourer, and they had one son Thomas aged 4. In 1885 another son William R. was born and on May 28, 1886 their last son Arthur J. was born. At some point during the 1882-1887 period John gave up General Labouring and became a Seaman in the Merchant Service. By the time of the 1891 census, Jane was now a widow with 3 sons and her occupation was a Grocer. The eldest son was employed at a Paper Mill as a labourer. 1901 census shows them still in Washford. Thomas has left home, William is employed as a Paper Bag Machine Operator and Arthur is a Yard Boy on Farm. Jane is no longer employed, but is still a widow.
    By 1911 only William and Jane were at home. William was still working for a Paper Bag Maker.
    Jane died in 1924

Part 2
    What happened to Arthur James Norman?
    Above is Arthur's early life. Some time after 1901 he left the farm, went across the border into Wales and became a Coal Miner. At the age of 23, on October 30, 1909, he married 26 year old Hannah Maria Eustice Ball. Their daughter [Ellen Jane Plevna Norman] was born on September 11, 1910. The information on John Norman that is contained on the marriage certificate confirms I have the right family. The birth occurred in Connor Downs, Gwithian and Arthur gave his occupation as a Tin Miner. Arthur left Cornwall and the Tin Mines for the mines in Montana. This has previously been documented in the other linked thread.
    I now have a copy of the Death Certificate for Arthur. It is typed from the orinal handwritten Coroner's Report dated November 27,1914. The essential details are that Arthur died of a Fractured Skull and Broken Neck - result of a Mine Accident on November 13, 1914. The informant was William Norman - brother who listed address as Southern Cross. The lady from the Archives indicated that she had seen the handwritten Coroner's Report and that this Certificate is exact except that the middle letter of the name of the deceased could be a "J".

Several questions come to mind -

1] How did William coveniently be in Montana at that moment?
    2] I cannot find him on any passenger list to the US
    3] Was Souther Cross a ship and William a merchant seaman?
    4] Why/how was burial arranged so quickly - Date of death November 13 and burial November 15.

We still don't know who was the father of Hannah's child that was born December 1916 that she named James Arthur.

Colin

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    1] How did William coveniently be in Montana at that moment?
    2] I cannot find him on any passenger list to the US
    3] Was Souther Cross a ship and William a merchant seaman?
    4] Why/how was burial arranged so quickly - Date of death November 13 and burial November 15.
    1. & 2. He arrived on the Majestic 26 Oct 1911, going to join brother Arthur Norman in Butte.
    3. Southern Cross was a town about 45 miles from Butte.
    4. Sounds about right to me.

One more person to find in the 1920 census???

Adele

Brick wall demolition expert!

1930 census:

William R Norman, head, marr, 46, married age 35, b. England, immig 1911, alien, cable repairer, copper mining co.
    Audrey M G Norman, wife, marr, 30, married age 19, b. England, immig 1919, alien
    W Arthur B Norman, son, age 9 struck out, age 7, born Montana
    Charles H Norman, son, 6, born England
    James L Norman, son,4 6/12, born Montana

Walkerville, Silver Bow, Montana

Adele

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    1. & 2. He arrived on the Majestic 26 Oct 1911, going to join brother Arthur Norman in Butte.
    3. Southern Cross was a town about 45 miles from Butte.

One more person to find in the 1920 census???

Adele
    Hi Adele.
    Thanks for answering my questions. I disccounted the listing for the Majestic as no age was listed and occupation stated clerk, but in 1911 census he certainly wasn't stated as such an employee.

US census for 1920 are very labor-intensive.

Regards
    Colin

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post

Adele
    Just checked a 1914 Calendar. November 13, 1914 was a Friday. Being a mining centre did they work Saturdays and Sundays as well due the high incidence of mining accidents?

Thanks
    Colin

P.S. That 1930 census sure looks interesting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast