Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    lgourlay36

Default Finding members in the military

Hi again Paul

ive found out that a couple of my relations were either in the police or in 3/6 Battalion of the Black Watch....any idea if its possible to access records in the military (both of these relations are dead)?

Lynne

CRIPES

Hi Lynne,

Sorry didn't back sooner...have been rebuilding my pc & building a new one for my partner Linda.

Well..military records.
    Best place would be the National Archives.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/m....ac=MHhomepage

Though it can be a little tricky searching the site.....a little over complex.
    But it does have milliary records for all the services 1st & second world war.

Ancestry also has a military section.

You might want to try making requests for help on genealogy forums.
    Some folks are kind enough to look up documents from sites where they have accounts if you do not have one. But remember to say please & thank you...as some can get very miffed if they help and get no thanks.

The thing is some of these site can be expensive to get access. And if you try out "credits" for some of these sites....you need to make sure of which records you want to see..otherwise you can waste alot of money and get
    nowhere.

I have an account at Genes Reunited. You can build a basic tree and contact possible relations. And ask for help on the forums..but it can get a little bitchy there. But getting in touch with possbile relations is the best bet for info. As those who you contact may already have alot of the info you seek.

Regards
    Paul ( Koczar)
    Last edited by Jan1954; 25-07-2009 at 7:58 PM. Reason: Link to Ancestry removed

CRIPES

Ohh....!!..They do have a military section here...

Worth taking alook & posting any questions..never know.

lgourlay36

Default Military records

Good thinking Paul, being 3rd Battalion Black Watch im sure someone will be able to help.....will dig out the info tomorrow (just in from a wedding reception and really need to get my head down now)

r gourlay

the army records office in York or the regimental museum in Perth would be the best places to start. failing that they have a regimental association.
    most of the Gourlays that i am related to were fishermen although two uncles, George and Alex went off to the Navy during ww2.
    i really should introduce myself as roy gourlay, born St Andrews brought up in St Monans and Glenrothes not far from Ceres, now living just outside London.

John Gourlay

Default Normans in Scotland

Paul and now Lynne and Roy. I haven't been reading this site for a while and now I see we have new Gourlay contributers, Lynne and Roy. I've met Roy elsewhere, so a specific hello to Lynne. I'm the silly one who started this topic and like us all, have learnt a lot, partcularly from Cripes Paul. I'm still no closer to joining the dots between my 7th great grandfather, John Gourlay b c1655 and Ingleramus, but have acquired enough information from here and elsewhere to believe I'm related.
    John Gourlay

MomRhodesof5

Lightbulb My Gourley Line

Can I join in the conversation?! I have been researching my Gourley line for many years with very little luck. I keep hoping to figure out how to tie into the Gourlay/Gourley/Gurley line that everyone else talks about. My gggg grandfather was Thomas Gurley born November 28, 1796 in Donegal, Ireland. It is said from his wife's, Jane, obituary that he was from Ardnamoghill. I think I have found him in the Tithe Applotments as living in Dunmore, Killea parish, Donegal. I have no other information than that he married his wife Jane, had seven chidlren; Matilda, Eliza Jane, Margaret, James, Susan, Thomas and Maria; and immigrated to the United States in June of 1836. Can anyone help me figure this out? I did notice on a few of the comments in this thread that there were other Gourley's who lived in Dunmore in the 1600's. Could these be my ancestors? Please help me if you can!

jools_john

Hello, I notice this original post is quite old so this may be a long shot... I am also researching the GOURLAY family line and would be interested in hearing any references you have or where your research has taken you so far. Please feel free to email me at jools_john @ yahoo . co . uk Just leave out the gaps, but don't forget the underscore. I have made contact with several 2nd and 3rd cousins in Canada and US who are descended from Robert Gourlay (1835-1924) and Margaret Blacklock (1836-1894) who emigrated to Canada with many of the children. Facebook has it's uses!

Gentleman

Hello
    I hope someone can point me in the right direction for my research.

4 Jan 1794 James Gourlay a Chaise Driver in Pleasance married Marion Crichton daughter of Peter Crichton at St Cuthbert, Midlothian, Scotland.

26 Jan 1794 (22 days later) Peter Gourlay was born - father James a gentleman's son and mother Mary Crighton.

I don't know if other children were born to this couple. I don't know when or where they died.
    Marion Crighton was born in 1772. I would guess James Gourlay was born about 1770. James' birthplace is also unknown.

I am hoping that someone knows some possibilities for the parents of James. I would appreciate it if you could tell me of any families that suit this information: a son James born about 1770 and the father is a gentleman.

Gourlay is spelled many different ways on Peters records, but Gourlay is the way it has been spelled in my family for the last four generations. 8 Sep 1864 Peter Gourley died in lanarkshire aged 74 married to Agnes Lamond mother Mary Chrichton and father ___ Gourley, a coachman as given by Peter's son John Gourley.

Thank you for any direction.

Sincerely
    Irene

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman View Post
    I hope someone can point me in the right direction for my research.
    Hallo Irene, and a warm welcome to British Genealogy. I have copied yopur post to a thread of its own in the Scotland Forum at
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/thr...arion-CRICHTON

Do also please read the various 'sticky' threads at the top of the General Scottish Forum which may help with your research.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast