Carrie Meerten

Smile Royal Artillery help

Does anyone know what war might have been fought around the 1871 census and possibly where I might be able to get some info either on my person to find out what, when or which regiment/group etc he fought for and/or Royal Artillery history?? I have had no luck in my searches.

I have found my Alfred Miller on the 1871 as age 23, patient, The Herbert Hospital as a gunner in the Royal Artillery. He was listed as one patient of approx 500.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by meerten
    Does anyone know what war might have been fought around the 1871 census and possibly where I might be able to get some info either on my person to find out what, when or which regiment/group etc he fought for and/or Royal Artillery history?? I have had no luck in my searches.
    It's not going to help you much in Australia, but you really need to locate his service record in The National Archives (TNA) at Kew. This should tell you just about everything you want to know about the chap - you might also try the casualty returns. Your best hope is if you know someone who lives not to far away and will do you a favour, other than that you may have to hire a researcher to trace the service record.

TNA has several research guides to assist you with what is available. from the home page of their website
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
    look at the red bar near the top, one of the links is 'Getting Started' move your cursor over that and a drop down menu should appear. Select 'Index to research guides' you can either scroll down to 'B' and look for 'British Army' links - or - select a letter - or enter a word/phrase in the search engine.

By the way, he could well have been in hosptial for illness/injury at work, rather than injury in conflict.

Geoffers