Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Colin Rowledge

Default Help in identifying possible uniform/service

My wife was born in 1948. Her mother died 18months later [in 1949] We have a photo of her mum in uniform from W.W.2. and would like to know the service she was in.

I don't have a scanner and if I did, "Photo-bucket" is beyond me. I am a computer do-fuss

Somehow, somewhere I would like it on the W.W.2 forum, so that this can be identified. Copies of the pecture can be sent by regular mail. Who is willing to help here?

I'm willing to start a thread, psot the known info and then S.K.S. could attach the photo. Is such a thing/process possible?

markmccormack

Colin,

I am in Guelph, have a scanner, and will help any way I can. My wife is in Oakville at least once a week. Just e-mail me.

Also, Staples (can I mention a store by name?) will do it for you and if you bring them a thumb drive - or buy one there, you can take it home and post the photo, or just e-mail the scanned photo to me... I can help!

Mark

markmccormack

Colin, the photo is beautiful. I had to compress the high quality original in order to post it here. Also, I have cropped the badge section of her "uniform" (high quality), and then zoomed in to maintain as much detail as possible. I uploaded both with photobucket.

You may want to ask a moderator to start your query afresh, or rename this one. I think they will know what to do.

Here are your photos:

I will e-mail you the rotated, cropped, corrected image in high def.

Be Well!

Mark

Colin Rowledge

Default The photo's are of my wifes mother.

Quote Originally Posted by markmccormack View Post
    Colin, the photo is beautiful. I had to compress the high quality original in order to post it here. Also, I have cropped the badge section of her "uniform" (high quality), and then zoomed in to maintain as much detail as possible. I uploaded both with photobucket.

You may want to ask a moderator to start your query afresh, or rename this one. I think they will know what to do.

Here are your photos:

I will e-mail you the rotated, cropped, corrected image in high def.

Be Well!

Mark
    My wife's mother died when she was young of T-B and my wife was 18months old at the time [1949]

We are looking for help with regard to the unform and crest in the breast pocket.

If the mod's wish to move this thread to W.W.2 I have no objections

To Mark for his assistance my heartfelt thanks

Colin

Brick wall demolition expert!

I wonder if it's a possibly not a uniform. The scalloping along the collar and front edges of the jacket seem unusual for a uniform.

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    I wonder if it's a possibly not a uniform. The scalloping along the collar and front edges of the jacket seem unusual for a uniform.
    Hi Adele.
    Not being overly familiar with other than Army uniforms from the WW2 era, I am open to suggestions. I am aware that my wife's father was in the service and that their 1st child was born in December 1940 and no ther children were born until March 1944.

This leaves a gap of 3+ years. Could this be some kind of nurse's unfiform? The son born in 1940 could be housed with his father's parents as the family were close and in looking at the badge on the pocket - as enhanced by Mark - I get a feeling of a pair of helping hands reaching out. Could this have been a volunteer nursing group based out of Wales or possibly Ireland where she was born?

My wife has no knowledge of her mother so cannot shed any light there Of the 3 children born from 1944 on, 1 is now deceased and the other has no knowledge about her mother either.

I wish I could be more positive in my approach to this issue.

Colin

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

That was my very first thought too, Adele.
    Also, it's quite difficult to see. though perhaps the men having seen a higher-resolution pic might be able to clarify, but does the jacket have some sort of brocade-type pattern on it?
    Pam

Colin,
    Would you like this thread moved to the Photographers & Old Photographs section of the forum? There may be members who are knowledgeable concerning women's apparel who wouldn't visit the WW2 section of the forum.

Colin Rowledge

Colin,
    Would you like this thread moved to the Photographers & Old Photographs section of the forum? There may be members who are knowledgeable concerning women's apparel who wouldn't visit the WW2 section of the forum.
    By all means, place where it will get the most exposure. I feel 'uncomfortable' if it is just a nice outfit with hat, that denigrates the services that fought so bravely in WW2 and that my wife was under a misapprehension of her Mother's rolw in WW2.

Colin.

I believe you mentioned that your wife's mother was a nurse during WW2. Whether people wore a uniform or not, I'm sure that all of us believe that every contribution was given with the hope that it was for the greater good of their fellow citizens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast