Thread: Canoscan 8400f

Devonmade

Default Canoscan 8400f

I have a CanoScan 8400f, I wish to scan some slides and have found the plastic tray in which to insert the slides, I have removed the white backing from the cover of the scanner but when I scan the slides all I see is the plastic tray and the white frames of the slides. I feel that I should be doing something else to make the slide scanner work but have been unable to find my user guide. Can anyone help me?

Sue

Reputation beyond repute

The official documentation seems to be here...

https://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...nloadDetailAct

This is the US site so you may have to translate

Anything I buy these days, I like to make sure I've got an electronic copy of the manual - not so easy to lose

Quote Originally Posted by Devonmade View Post
    I have a CanoScan 8400f, I wish to scan some slides and have found the plastic tray in which to insert the slides, I have removed the white backing from the cover of the scanner but when I scan the slides all I see is the plastic tray and the white frames of the slides. I feel that I should be doing something else to make the slide scanner work but have been unable to find my user guide. Can anyone help me?

Sue

I have a Canoscan at home, which isn't a lot of help since I'm at work. I seem to remember that the on-screen Help section is quite good - you need to tell the scanner that you're scanning film/slides so that it know to turn the main lamp off and the one in the cover on.
    If it's anything like the (older Canon) scanner I have at work, it's in the drop down menu under "File".
    PM me if you don't work it out before this evening (Forum time) and I'll have a look at mine.
    You could try the Canon website and see whether they have copies of the handbook for download.

Lesley

Devonmade

Default Thank You

To Peter and Lesley

Thank you so much for your help. The problem has now been solved, I have found that the cable that connects the lid to the base was not connected. I can now scan 4 slides at a time and the results are quite good in view of the fact that most of the slides are 30 years old or more, I have loads to do as I now have a digital photo frame and all early photos of my daughters are on slides as this was the cheapest option in the 1970's of taking lots of photos.

Really happy now.

Regards, Sue