Thread: MacIntosh

Trevor Bretag

Default MacIntosh

Seeking information on MacIntosh family from Benbicular in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Bretag View Post
    Seeking information on MacIntosh family from Benbicular in Scotland

Hi Trevor,
    welcome to BG. It's always good to see more scots joining!
    MacIntosh isn't a particularly rare name, so it would be useful to know a bit more about your particular people - why not pick out one or two of them and tell us what you know about them? We have a Western Isles forum, and there's material in the stickies at the beginning of the General Scttish forum which may be of help.

Spelling of scottish names can be a fuzzy thing - note that the spelling currently in use (and therefore the spelling that search engines will expect) is Benbecula.

Lesley

Trevor Bretag

Default MacIntosh Ancestors

I am seeking information on the family of Neil Alexander MacIntosh. Born in Benbecula in 1870 and died in Mount Gambier, South Australia in 1939. He married Mary Mabel Kiteley in Mount Gambier. She was born in Mount Gambier in 1879 and died there in 1975. They had 5 children viz. Donald, Ronald, Jean, Neil and Marjorie.

I am seeking information on the family of Neil Alexander MacIntosh. Born in Benbecula in 1870 and died in Mount Gambier, South Australia in 1939. He married Mary Mabel Kiteley in Mount Gambier. She was born in Mount Gambier in 1879 and died there in 1975. They had 5 children viz. Donald, Ronald, Jean, Neil and Marjorie.
    The only one I can see is Neil MacIntosh, born 18 Oct 1867, parish of South Uist (the parish for Benbecula), County of Inverness. He was the son of Donald M. and Mary MacDonald. There isn't another NM born on the island from 1865 to 1875. Donald & Mary married 3 May 1866 in Benbecula.

You can buy (immediate download) these birth and marriage certs from Scotlands people (there's a whole message about using SP st the top of the General Scottish Forum). They'll give you a fair bit of other information including (on the marriage one) the parents of the happy couple. You can also check the census which will tell you more about D&M's family.

I think it would be worth moving this thread across to the Inverness forum where people with local knowledge are likely to see it. What do you think?
    Lesley

Trevor Bretag

Default Moving thread across to the Inverness forum

Lesley, you have suggested that I consider moving this thread across to the Inverness forum where people with local knowledge are likely to see it.
    Please explain how to move a thread?
    Thanks

Procat

Hi Trevor,

Only Mods (and the all powerful Administrator) can move a thread.

I have now placed it under the Inverness Forum.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Red face Neil MacIntosh

Hello Trevor I am one of the MacIntosh relatives living in benbecula. Neil was a brother of my great grandfather Roderick. There were nine of them John (senior), Donald (Neil's father), Finlay, Neil, Roderick, John (junior), Catherine, Ann and Helen. I have some photos of Neil and his family left by my great aunt.

Regards Rhoda

Spike Harwood

Neil Alexander Mc and brother Ronald came to Aust in 1875 on the North with parents Donald and Mary. Donald's brother, Neil arrived here in in 1869 on the Canterbury. Info on the descendants can be found here
    https://www.mackintosh.org.au
    This is the McIntosh families in Australia website and is a great resource. There is a database of over 22,000 individuals and 8,735 different families.