Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    If the1861 census that Kerrywood found (Well done!) is Christiana then the writing is very faint on the original.
    The name of John could be Kuliczkowski, certainly looks like it ends with the kowski and begin with the Kul but the middle section looks like 'eigh'.
    Ancestry is John Flowleigh Roucks

I would agree with them that Christiana was born Limehouse, Middx.

Joe, if it turns out that the 1851 also records her as being a Middlesex girl, I think it would be worth your asking for one of us Mods to move this threads to the Middlesex forum.
    Lesley

Marie C..

Kuliczkowski is the correct name. Polish aristocracy. Probably came from Ukraine/Polish border. Maybe a refugee as many Poles came to Britain and usa after 1830's. Name proabaly Jan rather than John. Maybe as has been said Christiana's second marriage. Do you have Margaret's marriage? was she named Margaret Kuliczkowski on marriage. Can find nothing on FMP. Lots of Nicholsons in St george in the East and surrounding churches but cannot find Christiana's baptism.M

Marie C..

EoLFHS have baptisms for St. Anne's Limehouse and also for St. george in the East for dates you need on CD's.(for Christiana's baptism). M

Name well known on Brit-Gen

This looks like Margaret's marriage?

Marriages Dec 1869
    FENN William Bethnal Green 1c 679
    KULIEZKOWSKI Margaret Bethnal Green 1c 679

And this John's death?

Deaths Dec 1869
    Kuliczkawski John 65 Bethnal Green 1c 233

Mutley, I'm sure you're right about the 1861. Perhaps it's written KOULEIGHKOUSKI

Kerrywood

Joe90

What a response, thank you for all your replies, you have discovered the blind alleys I have walked into.
    I have suspected the possibilty that J.K and C.N never married. On her death certificate she is recorded as Christiana Nicholson, this seems to suggest our suspicions are correct. The informant of her passing, Sarah Smith of 3,Chapel St,. On the 20th July 1857, C.N. gave birth to a son Joseph also at 3, Chapel St,. Confusingly Joseph's birth certificate records name of mother as Christiana Kuliczkowski, formerly Nicholson.
    J.K's full name is Jan Wojciech Kuliczkowski, yes, a refugee from the 1830 Warsaw Uprising. It is easy to understand the misspelling, who was speaking to the enumerator?

Kerrywood, certificates correct, I have copies. The 1861 census records a Christiana and on the following page Margaret, aged 8 years. Margaret's age, recorded on her marriage certificate, was 19 years, there-fore dob 1850. The 1901 census records Margaret's age as 48, dob 1853 in this instance she would be 8 years of age in 1861. My conculsion is the 1861 census records J.K. and the family.

Lesley, I have attempted to locate C.N on the 1851 census without success.

Other than the documents already referred to I have no idea which direction to take.
    The reason I started this thread was the possibility of the Scottish connection, if you feel my search would be better served else where please advise.
    Most happy to supply any information you may require. Thank you all for your interest.

Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
    Other than the documents already referred to I have no idea which direction to take.
    The reason I started this thread was the possibility of the Scottish connection
    Joe, I'm glad to hear we're all in the same alley, even if it is a blind one

I appreciate you're interested in a possible Scottish connection for Christiana. But given that the 1861 says she was born in Limehouse, can you say which parish registers you've already checked for her baptism, if only to eliminate them? Of the first four parishes that come to mind, three are not on the IGI (St Anne Limehouse, St John Wapping and St Paul Shadwell) and one is defective there (St George in the East). All these (and others) are available from Docklands Ancestors, both online and on CD.

Kerrywood

Lesley, I have attempted to locate C.N on the 1851 census without success.

The reason I started this thread was the possibility of the Scottish connection, if you feel my search would be better served else where please advise.
    Most happy to supply any information you may require. Thank you all for your interest.

Joe.
    Which 1851 did you check - England or Scotland? Did you check variation in forename spelling? If she WAS scots, I'd expect her name to be Christian, Christine, Christina. I don't think I've eve seen a Christiana (although I'm suire plenty of people will prove me wrong).

If you're coming to the conclusion that she was english, and the events of her life were taking place in England, it seems that it would be sensible to move the thread to the appropriate english forum..... It might attract more experts on that area then.

Up to you,
    Lesley

Joe90

Hallo Lesley & Kerrywood,

Lesley,

The 1851 census I checked was English, as I had no idea where in Scotland C.N. may have been born, in my ignorance, I thought it would be a wasted exercise.
    Regarding moving to another area would you click on Search - B-G Tool Bar - enter Christiana Nicholson and advise me where I should move to next. Some months ago a Moderator moved me to European Genealogy, from where I'm unable to recall.

Kerrywood,

'Hands Up' Once again my limited knowledge is exposed. I was unaware that
    Parish Registers were available from the EoLFHS, I think the most appropiate CD would be St Annes, where to view on line I missed, keeeeep looking.

Thanks again.
    Joe.

I was unaware that
    Parish Registers were available from the EoLFHS, I think the most appropiate CD would be St Annes, where to view on line I missed, keeeeep looking
    The "online" reference was to Docklands Ancestors (google for it), who have a parish register search page, from which you can order transcripts of any interesting entries that you find in the indexes.

Kerrywood

Regarding moving to another area would you click on Search - B-G Tool Bar - enter Christiana Nicholson and advise me where I should move to next. Some months ago a Moderator moved me to European Genealogy, from where I'm unable to recall.
    Since it looks as though Christina was a Middlesex girl, I've moved the thread to the Middlesex forum to see whether anyone there knows of her, or a source for her.
    Note that I've only moved the thread, not you. You remain a member of the whole BG forum and can roam wherever you like!

Lesley

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast