Ron61

Default Middlesex Gaol convictions 1826

Does anyone know if there are records available for convictions in Middlesex Gaol for 1826 please?

Geoffers

There are many records available but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "records available for convictions in Middlesex Gaol for 1826".

Records of convictions (at court) exist and also records of prisoners held in various lock-ups, gaols, prisons, hulks.

Where to look for a court record depends on the court that imposed a sentence.

I recommend a browse through TNA's research guide on Convicts and Prisoners 1186-1986 as this will indicate what is available.

What are you trying to find out?

Ron61

Thank you Geoffers, I am interested in John GOODWIN, one of 156 convicts transported [to Australia] on the Speke 05 August 1826. He was "Convicted at Middlesex Gaol Delivery for a term of life."

Geoffers

The link given to TNA's research guides will tell you what there is - the problem is obviously one of access. In what document have you found the information?

You thankfully have a start in the name of the ship on which he was transported and it is there that I suggest you start (unless the information comes from this source)

The register of the Speke is in HO11 and shown on TNA's catalogue - Speke 1826 HO11/6

You'll see from the research guide I linked before that HO11 includes information on the convict's name, court where convicted, date of conviction and term of setence.

You can order a copy of the relevant entry online. Click on the above link for 'Speke 1826 HO11/6' and look across to the right, you'll see a button 'request this'. Click on that and fill in the details that you have. Because of the Christmas and New Year, there may be a greater delay than normal in replying.

With that information you may then be able to identify the hulk on which he was confined before transportation and stand a chance of locating the papers relating to his conviction.

The Proceedings of the Old Bailey are online and searchable and always worth a try.

Middlesex Gaol delivery Books appear to be held at London Metropolitan Archives. The document reference for 1826-1827 being OB/SB/032

Ron61

Thank you very much for your help and guidance.

My source is https://enc.slq.qld.gov.au/logicroute...&num_result=36

Geoffers

The reference you have is from HO11/6 - the transportation register held at TNA, Kew.

Gaol Delivery can be a court which hears a case against an indicted prisoners being held in custody. IF your chap was held at Newgate, then the court which would have heard the case would be the Old Bailey - in which case the following proceedings on the Old Bailey site may possibly relate to your John Goodwin

In this case John Goodwin was indicted and convicted with a John Price - was there a John Price on the Speke in 1826? Does John Goodwin's age match up with any information that you have in Australia?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

According to the Old Bailey proceedings, this John GOODWIN was sentenced to death. There may have been petitions and a reprieve. So Ron61 should have searches made of HO 13 and other related TNA sources, as described in paragraph 4 of this research guide (different from the one cited by Geoffers in message #2 above). Some of this material may have been filmed by the AJCP and be available at the State Library in Queensland. If not, research at Kew will be needed.

Kerrywood

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Further to my last message, there are associated documents linked on the Old Bailey site comprising a Recorder's report and notes in HO 6/11, dated 1 June 1826 and relating to a John GOODWIN hearing. It seems likely to be the same man, since he is apparently the only John GOODWIN tried there in the first half of 1826.

If it is the same man, the report and notes may refer to a reprieve of the death sentence and may give further background information. You could try ordering copies through TNA's Digital Express service, but they may decline if too much research is involved to extract them. In that case you will probably need a researcher.

To attempt this, go to the TNA catalogue entry for HO 6/11, click Request This (top right), then Request an Estimate, follow the instructions, and in the relevant box enter the details of the documents to be extracted and copied (e.g. "recorder's report and notes dated 1 June 1826 relating to trial of John Goodwin").

Kerrywood

Ron61

Thank you all. Seasons greetings.