Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DavidHollick

Default HOLLICK world-wide GOONS reg'd #0289 in 1979

This is a 30 year old, world-wide study and includes HAL(L)ICK(E), HOL(L)OCK(E)(S), HOLLEX, HOLLOX and a number of other varients like HO(L)LIOCKE, HOL(L)IOAK(E) which bridge the divide between the HOLLICK and HOLYOAK Clan and it's varients.

My 3x Gt Grandfather was married as a HOLYOAK but all other "official" refs to him are as HOLLICK!!. Have other refs to clergyman officiating at weddings entering a name as HOLYOAK whilst the bride, or Groom, clearly signed as HOLLICK

Very happy to exchange information with anyone interested in the "family"

susanx123

Default hollick as a middle name

hello

I have a relative called William Hollick Bird. Is hollick as a forename common?

regards

Michelle

Knowledgeable and helpful

My gt gt grandmother was married to a Hollox (also misspelt varients of Hollex ect..) in Suffolk.
    Chasing Caseys

DavidHollick

Quote Originally Posted by susanx123 View Post
    hello

I have a relative called William Hollick Bird. Is hollick as a forename common?

regards

Michelle
    Hi Michelle,

It is not unknown (as your example shows) but is quite rare.

Like all such uses of a surname as a forename it generally commemorates a marriage (as in HOLLICK = BIRD) although it may also refer to a God-parent or a benefactor to the family.

In this case I suspect it relates to the marriage of Joseph BIRD to Mary Ann HOLLICK at St John Baptist, Coventry, on 7tth Feb 1842 with the individual concerned being a descendant of this union.

If that's not the line there are a number of other HOLLICK = BIRD marriages in the Midlands area that could be the one and I would be happy to let you have details

Regards

David

DavidHollick

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Caseys View Post
    My gt gt grandmother was married to a Hollox (also misspelt varients of Hollex ect..) in Suffolk.
    Most uses of HOLLOX occur in Suffolk with HOLLOCK(S) being more common in Cambs and HOLLEX in Norfolk althought that, of course is a generalisation.

I would be happy to exchange info on any particular line.

Regards

David

Hello David

I myself havnt done much research on this line and what little i have has been passed on or found on census ect.

My line is my G2 Emma King who married Henry Hollox. He was born in Monks Eleigh c1853 and was known as "Hoppy Dick". They married in Little Waldingfield. They had children Aurthur, George, Bertha and John. Henry was convicted of the manslaughter of Emma in 1891. When he was released he re-married. His parents were Robert Hollox and Mary Ann Baker.

Many thanks for your offer it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
    Tracey
    Chasing Caseys

DavidHollick

Hi Tracey,

Thanks for reply and the info. Have not looked at my database yet and we are going to be out this evening and all day tomorrow, as well as most of Thusday, so may not be able to get back in detail until the week-end.

Your ref to Henry being convicted of manslaughter has rung some distant bells in my memory with a correspondent some years ago asking me if I could comment on a HOLLICK drowning a girl ("in a tub"?). The implication was that it was in the early part of the 20C and I have no records that go anywhere near filling that bill but - how did Emma drown?

Regards

David

DavidHollick

Tracey,

Just been thinking over what I remember of the drowning enquiry and inclined to think it was in a well rather than a tub but then it was quite a while ago

David

Hello David

A drowning isnt something i am familiar with concerning my link. I had a quick look on the Foxearth site to see if there was mention of a drowning but couldnt see anything.

Emma died it says due to the violence of her husband.

...............the facts of the case as alleged by the prosecution and said that the medical evidence went to show that the cause of the deceased’s death was an infusion of blood upon the brain, and that the injuries she had received were such as might be caused by falling backwards from a chair.
    The short of it seems that Henry had had to much to drink, came home, wanted his tea an arguement ensued and he pushed her backward in the chair and she fell and banged her head on the brick floor and never recovered.
    He was sentenced to 8 calendar months with hard labour (i was partly hoping to find him being transported but this happened 20 odd years too late !).

A fellow Hollox connection very kindly got the information of the trial report for me at Kew.

I think his second marriage was to Rosina Louisa S Alen - Stow S 4a 1684 Dec q 1900 - but needs confirming.

Kind regards
    Tracey
    Chasing Caseys

DavidHollick

Hi Tracey,

My sincere apologies for the delay in replying but have been laid low by the dreaded flu and, frankly, just could not face up to playing with the computer.

Now much better and hoping it wil have finally cleared up by the week-end.

On checking the database it seems I can take you back 3 generations. However, I didn't have any confirmed info on Henry & Emma's children so making contact like this is a lucky break for us both.

Actually, strictly speaking, this family is outside the scope of my ONS having never, as far as I know, been described as HOLLICK (or one of its direct variants), but almost from the start of my study I realised the benefit of collecting data on all possible candidates. However, this has increased the size of the database to the point where I can spend liitle time researching them

The info that I have collated (in 4 Personal Reports in the direct male line) are not suitable for publishing on here so if you wouldn't mind letting me have your e-mail address (you can contact me at [email protected] rather than publishing it on here) I'll forward them on to you.

Thanks also for the additional info on the fate of poor Emma. It would appear that this is in no way related to the incident my previous correspondent was looking in to.

Regards

David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast