Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

unfortunately, the original image was 2"x1" and badly scarred and my uncle did his best to clean it up. (I've already asked). I'll ask him to re-scan it and send it in its original scarred form.

I took a wander through the National Archives and found nothing (so far) for the name George Early, but I haven't given up hope. On his marriage certificate, (he was almost late for the birth of his first child) he's listed simply as Ship's Engineer.

I did find his obituaries. There was the standard family one and another for the Masonic Beaver Lodge No. 99 A.F. & A.M., G.R.Q. in Montreal, Quebec. But that's another topic.

On his daughter's birth certificate, he's listed as "Naval Engineer".

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Aislin
    I took a wander through the National Archives and found nothing (so far) for the name George Early, but I haven't given up hope. On his marriage certificate, (he was almost late for the birth of his first child) he's listed simply as Ship's Engineer.
    Do you know a period when he was an engineer?

I did find his obituaries.
    Anything in them about military service?

When did he die?

On his daughter's birth certificate, he's listed as "Naval Engineer".
    Having many engineers who served in the RN in my own family, all give rank and specifically mention the Royal Navy - e.g. Mate (Engineering) RN, Lt (Eng) RN. Eng.Capt RN, etc.

So I suspect that he was in the Merchant Navy.

Looking at TNA's catalogue. I wonder if your chap is then mentioned in:

Index to registers of certificates of competence and service: Engineers 1861-1921

If you can identify a certificate number in the above, then you may be able to order the entry from the registers of certificates of competence

and the records of service

He was an engineer from roughly the late 1890's to 1910 (he left for Canada in 1910 and the ships passenger list has his occupation as simply "engineer")

There was nothing in his obituary regarding military service. He died in 1964.

When I look at that link, and I think BT 142/3 might be the one I want, but I have no way to view the records unless I request a quote for copies and the last request I sent went unanswered. Is there a way to view an index of names? Or is that something you have to go there to view? When I type in George Early, it brings up "no results".

I feel like I'm being dense and missing something.

Reputation beyond repute

As explained in the research guide that I mentioned earlier, you first have to use the index of names in BT 141. This provides the certificate number and allows you to look in the appropriate register. None of this is online.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    As explained in the research guide that I mentioned earlier, you first have to use the index of names in BT 141. This provides the certificate number and allows you to look in the appropriate register. None of this is online.
    Which poses something of a dilemna from New York. Thanks for trying though, Peter.

Astoria

If you request a quote and include the name you are searching, you will pay nothing if the researcher finds nothing. I have recently received Merchant Navy records for one of mine which cost less than £10. If they quote a price which is out of your budget there is no need to proceed, but you will have a reference you can use later if you chose to.

Good to know Astoria, I'll try again. Maybe they didn't get my first email for a quote (what with the holidays it may still be sitting a queue.)

Reputation beyond repute

I don't know if Astoria means the research service or ShopOnline, presumably the former.

Following the method I outlined, it should certainly be feasible to use ShopOnline (the cheapest method). You might have to do it in two bites.

I don't know whether they could do it in one bite.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12