Default Puntis / Belton

Is anyone researching these families?

Jenni

elizabethh

Default Bolton.

I am researching Bolton, but do not recognize the other surname. Elizabeth

JenniLl

Hello Elizabeth,
    For Bolton, read Belton - although it does get written as Bolton sometimes.

Both families were in Hampshire (Porsmouth / Southsea area.)
    Quite a tale attached; Harriet Davey (my Gran's sister) married Edward Puntis in 1903. They had a son Edward in 1906 who joined the RN and was killed when HMS Glorious was sunk in June 1940. Edward jnr married Annie Belton, known as Cissie in 1930. They had a son - Derek in 1931 who became a Sea Scout and earned his King's badge. He was an only child. Tragically he was killed in a boating accident along with another scout and a scout master in March 1949. Cissie developed Breast cancer, secondaries and died in 1956.
    Cissie's father was called Samuel Israel Belton and his wife Susan nee Gosling. By the time that Cissie and Edward married Samuel was deceased but named on the certificate as Samuel Henry.
    If anyone has any further information re these families I would like to hear from them.

Jenni

soopy123

Hi Jenni
    I have a big Puntis family tree on Ancestry. My husband is a Puntis - haven't quite worked out what relation he is. We may have been in touch before - I have had photos of Edward senior and the story of son Edward sinking on the Glorious for some time - I can't remember whether I got the information from you or not! Anyway, I have recently been in touch with the daughter of the Scout Master when Derek drowned, Roy Putnam. Roy has died and she had found documents relating to Derek's drowning in his paperwork. She went on to Ancestry I think to see who might be researching Puntises, and found me. She has sent them to me and I have said I would keep them until a closer member of the family might come to light and then I could pass them on. There are various newspaper cuttings from the time, plus a couple of photographs of the Sea Scout group. But probably more interesting, and certainly much more poignant, is the Log Book which Derek kept for the Sea Scouts when they went out on the boat. The last entry is about a month before the accident. Would you like to have these sad mementos?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
    Sue Puntis

JenniLl

Sue,

I have sent you an email / pm.

Jenni