pepperd

Default Joshua Pepper Peterboro

Hi,
    I am seeking information on Thomas Pepper, I know he was the principal warder at chatham prison. born 1827
    I also have a copy of his marriage register, he married sarah Batchelor.28th Dec 1859
    how do I find if there is a birth record?
    and according to the marriage register his father was Thomas Pepper a carpenter but I cannot find any more about him?

thanks
    David

janbooth

Default Joshua PEPPER

David,

Do you have any census records for Joshua? I have found him in the 1891 census of Hammersmith (RG12/42, folio 25, page 43), Prison Warder, living at 57 Askew Crescent with wife Sarah and children Elizabeth & Walter. In the 1871 census of Gillingham (RG10/908, folio 63, page 17) he is living at F4 Warders Quarters, Convict Prison, Principal Warder, with wife Sarah and children Elizabeth, Thomas, Mary, Walter and Edwin.

To find the baptism of Joshua, you will have to consult the parish registers of Peterborough St John. These have been filmed by the LDS and you can order them to view in situ at your nearest Family History Centre or visit Northamptonshire Record Office.

There is a marriage on the Northampton Marriage Index 1700-1837 at Peterborough St John by licence on 1 August 1802 of a Thomas PEPPER and a Sarah DEVONSHIRE, both of the parish, which could be relevant to you although maybe it is a bit early. There are certainly quite a few PEPPER marriages at Peterborough St John in this period.

There is one marriage from the Northamtonshire Marriage Index 1837-1860 which is relevant to your branch of the family:

19 August 1840 at Peterborough St John William PEPPER, of the parish, bachelor, full age, Labourer, father Thomas, Carpenter married Anne LOWDER, of the parish, spinster, full age, father John, Shoemaker.

HTH

Janet

janbooth

Default PEPPER of Peterborough

Tracing William PEPPER back, this looks like he and Ann in the 1841 census of Peterborough:

HO107/817/2, folio 16, page 24
    Bridge Street

William PEPPER 23 Builder's Labourer
    Ann do 25

The next record is that of a John LOWDER, 50, Shoemaker, plus Ann 60 and John 15 so this could be Ann PEPPER's parents and a sibling. All 5 people are born in the county.

There is a baptismal record on the IGI of a William PEPPER on 23 May 1819 at Peterborough, father Thomas, mother Elizabeth so it looks as if your Joshua's parents could be Thomas & Elizabeth PEPPER.

This looks like your Thomas in the 1851 census of Peterborough:

HO107/1747, folio 435, page 21
    Peterborough Dispensary, New Town

Thos PEPPER Husband Mar 53 Jourm Carpenter Northsh Peterborough
    Eliz do Wife Mar 56 Matron to Dispensary Cambs Thorney
    Caroline CHURCH Daur Mar 25 Wife of Ostler Northsh Peterborough
    Thos PEPPER Son Unm 16 Apprence Painter do do

And just to prove it all here is Thomas in the 1841 census of Peterborough (mistranscribed as POPPER):

HO107/817/3, folio 33, pages 17/18
    Boongate

Thomas PEPPER 40 Carpenter
    Elizabeth do 45
    Joshua do 15 Carpenter J
    Felton do 12
    Robert do 9
    Thomas do 6

All born in the county.

I can't find a marriage for Thomas & Elizabeth on the Northants Marriage Index but given that Elizabeth gave her place of birth as Thorney in the 1851, it could have been in Cambridgeshire. Interestingly, given Thomas's son Felton shown in the 1841, there is a marriage at Peterboro St John by licence on 24 April 1798 of a William PEPPER & Elizabeth FELTON, both of the parish - perhaps Thomas's brother??

And from the Broadway Cemetary Index:

Thomas PEPPER died March 1872, aged 71
    Eliza PEPPER died June 1872, aged 77

HTH further

Janet

pepperd

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    David,

Do you have any census records for Joshua? I have found him in the 1891 census of Hammersmith (RG12/42, folio 25, page 43), Prison Warder, living at 57 Askew Crescent with wife Sarah and children Elizabeth & Walter. In the 1871 census of Gillingham (RG10/908, folio 63, page 17) he is living at F4 Warders Quarters, Convict Prison, Principal Warder, with wife Sarah and children Elizabeth, Thomas, Mary, Walter and Edwin.

To find the baptism of Joshua, you will have to consult the parish registers of Peterborough St John. These have been filmed by the LDS and you can order them to view in situ at your nearest Family History Centre or visit Northamptonshire Record Office.

There is a marriage on the Northampton Marriage Index 1700-1837 at Peterborough St John by licence on 1 August 1802 of a Thomas PEPPER and a Sarah DEVONSHIRE, both of the parish, which could be relevant to you although maybe it is a bit early. There are certainly quite a few PEPPER marriages at Peterborough St John in this period.

There is one marriage from the Northamtonshire Marriage Index 1837-1860 which is relevant to your branch of the family:

19 August 1840 at Peterborough St John William PEPPER, of the parish, bachelor, full age, Labourer, father Thomas, Carpenter married Anne LOWDER, of the parish, spinster, full age, father John, Shoemaker.

HTH

Janet
    Thank you very much for this information, I have census records for Thomas and Sarah (Batchelor) as this was who he married and I have the marriage
    register with their names and their fathers names as well.
    I will have to wait until the new year to view LDS films as they are only open
    during the school year which has finished and they open one day a week.

pepperd

Quote Originally Posted by pepperd View Post
    Thank you very much for this information, I have census records for Thomas and Sarah (Batchelor) as this was who he married and I have the marriage
    register with their names and their fathers names as well.
    I will have to wait until the new year to view LDS films as they are only open
    during the school year which has finished and they open one day a week.

I made a mistake and wrote Thomas and Sarah should have been Joshua
    and Sarah the detail I have following Thomas and Sarah are all correct
    its birth and parent information I'm chasing

thanks
    David

janbooth

Default Joshua PEPPER

Don't worry David, I worked out that you did mean Joshua. However, I think the 1841 census record of Peterborough I found placing Joshua in the same household as Thomas & Elizabeth plus the details on Joshua's marriage certificate pretty much confirms that Thomas & Elizabeth are his parents. You now just need to find his baptismal record to confirm it absolutely and then you can progress backwards on Thomas & Elizabeth's line.

Good luck

Janet

pepperd

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Don't worry David, I worked out that you did mean Joshua. However, I think the 1841 census record of Peterborough I found placing Joshua in the same household as Thomas & Elizabeth plus the details on Joshua's marriage certificate pretty much confirms that Thomas & Elizabeth are his parents. You now just need to find his baptismal record to confirm it absolutely and then you can progress backwards on Thomas & Elizabeth's line.

Good luck

Janet
    Thank you again for your help.

in an earlier reply you wrote:

as I can't go to the FHC until the new year is there anyone I can pay to enquire about this baptismal record?

David

janbooth

Default Joshua PEPPER

Sorry David, I can't help you there as I have never used a researcher of any sort. You could look at the Record Office website (https://www.northamptonshire.gov.uk/C...d/about_us.htm) and see if they provide a research facility.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 11-12-2008 at 9:59 AM. Reason: Mis-typing

john pepper

Hi

Reading through the emails I notice that William Pepper and Elizabeth Felton are mentioned but am not sure if they are of interest to you.

They are my gggggg grandparents.

The Pepper family was very much focussed in Peterborough but a number also moved a little way out to Eye and Thorney and even further afield into Denver near Downham Market where some of the gravestones are in the local cemetry.

Very happy to provide any information.

Best Regards
    John Pepper