Thread: 1822 Diary

crossanjames

Default 1822 Diary

I have an 1822 diary (or 'Peacock's Polite Repository' as it is titled). On the front page is a pencil inscription:

'This belonged to Lady Kinmalls Grandmother Lady Anne Cullin Smith, who was imprisoned by the French with the Brother of the Duke of Wellington during the Peninsula Campaign in the beginning of this Century'
    There is a signature, indecipherable.

I would be grateful if anyone out there has any information on Lady Ann Cullin Smith or the Kinmalls family. I would presume that the Brother of the Duke of Wellington was Richard Wellesley, who was Spanish Ambassador.

TimCouzens

Default Wellesley Related Diary

I am very interested in this diary and therefore hope that you are still active from 2006. The brother that you refer to was actually Wellington's youngest brother, Henry Wellesley, later first Baron Cowley, Ambassador at Paris. The episode is described in his publlsihed "Diary and Correspondence of Henry Wellesley", by his son, Col F.A. Wellesley. This is usually available online. e.g. abebooks.
    I would be very grateful for scans or a transcription from your diary and also any information from it on Lady Anne Culling Smith, Wellington's sister.
    If you do a google search on "Hand of Fate" the history of the Longs Wellesleys and the Draycot Estate in Wiltshire, you will find an email address on which you can contact me outwith this forum.
    Regards
    Tim Couzens