prento

Talking Researching Royal Foot Artillery

I hope someone can steer me in the right direction. The information I'm after is not available in Australia subsequently I may be very vague with what I know. Gunner Robert Prentice served in Captain Charles Sandham's Company, Foot Artillery in the Battle of Waterloo. From what I can gather that would have put him in the 3rd Battalion.

I would like to research this a little further and if possible obtain military records whether it attestation papers, details from register of Next of Kin or even the Regimental Registers of Births 1761-1924. From what I have also learnt the catalogues WO10. WO54 and WO69 may also be a great source of information.

Has anyone had any experience looking into these catalogues or indexes and from the scant information I have, would it be possible to locate additional information on Robert Prentice.

Thanks,

Brett
    Sunny Queensland

Jack Richards

Default Researching Royal Foot Artillery

I conject you may get some responses from persons more experienced that I into "army" records and the Peninsular. However, may I try and help you.

Let me say at the outset, I do not know whether or not such (following) info. is available on the internet - I'm sure someone will correct me.

As an experienced "old boy", I spent many days at the Record Office at Kew in the early 1990s trawling through records such as WO.10 etc. - travelling from Manchester - a long journey.

My interest was in the Royal Regiment of Artillery. After reading this message you may wish to peruse my web site - go to Book 8 on the Bookshelf and look at Edward Richards. The page is at present a bit "higglydy - piggledy" but it may help you.

I followed Edward Richards in WO.10 which are Pay and Muster Rolls, month by month, year by year. Each book - "LARGE volume" is heavy and covers a six month period. Names of soldiers, their Officer, their pay, their location and their Division is revealed. Very good and well preserved (mostly).

WO.10 has / extras such as WO.10 / 125 - 185 = Admission Registers.

Also very informative if WO.23 (in my case / 53) details of pension of the individual. WO.54 / ** is a Description Book

Finally, remember the General Service Medal was awarded to soldiers in the Peninsular campaign (much later around say 1850) - the first such campaign medal and records exist at Kew in this series. Edward Richards was awarded one with a bar (clasp) for each battle - his medal survives somewhere in private hands with about six bars. If only I could trace its whereabouts. I have mislaid the reference.

Sorry this is brief and sketchy but hope it helps.

Jack Richards
    Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2007 at 2:24 PM.

nemisis

Default ray

reference the arty of foot, have you treid th royal artillery web site

Dave Forsyth

Default Researching Foot Artillery

Re: Robert Prentice

I found your inquiry through a Google search of "Foot Artillery" & just registered with BG Forums to pass this on to you. I was introduced to the British Archives WO97 search mechanism recently & I think you may find your Robert Prentice there.
    Good Luck!

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sindex.asp?j=1