Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The_Doog

Default Solution To The Second Strand Of This Mystery

Acting on a tip-off that the two brothers might have joined the Klondike gold-rush, I started an investigation. I found a very useful website (https://www.yukongenealogy.com/index.htm) which assists genealogists conducting research into the Yukon.

This proved that one brother, Edward Lionel, did indeed join the Klondike gold-rush. He filed 21 gold-mining claims between 1901 and 1923. His first wife, Mamie, also filed a gold-mining claim between 1904 and 1906. Mamie (1872 - ?) had a daughter, Dorothy B., who was to prove to be Edward Lionel's only child. Edward Lionel's second wife, Alma, did not bear him any children.

During his lifetime, Edward Lionel added a third Christian name of Carew (old family name) and changed his surname from POLE to DE LA POLE. On 24 March 1890, he swore on oath of his intention to become a citizen of the U.S.A., citizenship which was eventually granted to him on 16 May 1949.

Edward Lionel Carew (22 April 1868 - 1953) died in San Francisco. Alma (1883 - 1969) also died in San Francisco. Dorothy B. (1897 - 1969) never married and died (presumably childless) in Los Angeles, in the same year as her step-mother.

This solves the second of the three strands of the mystery of what happened to the three siblings but it has not shed any light on the third and final strand as to what happened to Ernest (Percival ==>) Frederick.

As yet absolutely nothing has been found about Ernest Frederick so I have neither been able to prove nor disprove the previous post (from Bella Pucci) that he went to Ireland, reversed his Christian names from Ernest Frederick to Frederick Ernest, added a third Christian name of Francis, added a fourth Christian name of Walter and married Jane Ethel CORRIGAN who bore him two sons.

Acting on another tip-off (this time from a relation) that, if I was interested in the POLE / DE LA POLE Family, I should consult The National Trust Guidebook to Antony (the famous house in Cornwall), I did so. Inside the back cover is a Family Tree of the CAREWs of Antony. This includes Edward POLE (1758 - 1837), the great grandfather of Madeline Edith, Edward Lionel and Ernest Frederick, and traces his (and thus their) ancestry back to Sir Nicholas CAREW (? - 1447). I found this Family Tree data much easier to understand than the, admittedly more comprehensive, data in Burke's Peerage & Baronetage and recommend it to others interested in the POLE / DE LA POLE Family.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Charles William Turner was my great grandfather. What is not mentioned here is that he had a third wife. They had a daughter in 1921 and she, my grandmother, is still alive.

The_Doog

I can't find any evidence that the Charles William TURNER who married Madeline Edith POLE had a daughter in 1921. The most probable explanation is that one of us has found information relating to a different Charles William TURNER and wrongly attributed it Madeline Edith POLE's husband. But, which one of us has made the mistake?

My information on Madeline Edith POLE's husband is given in the following timeline of birth, marriages, children and death, showing the FreeBMD references for those events that took place in England.

birth of Charles William TURNER: Q3 1861, Lutterworth [R.D.], Vol. 7a, p. 10;
    1st marriage to Madeline Edith POLE: Q1 1886, Lutterworth [R.D.], Vol. 7a, p. 27;
    birth of Madeline Annie TURNER: 21 Aug 1887, Rapid City, Manitoba, Canada;
    second marriage to Harriet Ann (REDMILL née) WILLS: Q3 1892, Northampton [R.D.], Vol. 3b, p. 126;
    third marriage to Alice DAVIES: Q3 1903, Warwick [R.D.], Vol. 6d, p. 1181;
    birth of Frank TURNER: Q2 1904, Lutterworth [R.D.], Vol. 7a, p. 2;
    birth of Charles Davis TURNER: Q2 1906, Lutterworth [R.D.], Vol. 7a, p. 1;
    death of Charles William TURNER: 18 Jan 1946, Lutterworth [R.D.], Vol. 7a, p. 3.

Despite over four years of research, I still can't find any clue as to what happened to Madeline Edith POLE's brother Ernest (Percival ==>) Frederick POLE after the 1881 U.K. Census.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Dorothy Margaret Turner

My grandmother's name was Dorothy Margaret Turner, born April 25, 1921 in Lutterworth. Her father's name was Charles William Turner; he was 57 when she was born. Her mother's name was Alice Davies. She had two brothers whom she never met. Frank died at the age of about 11 from rhumatic fever; Charles Davis Turner had sever epilepsy and was sent to live in an institution called Carlton Hayes.

My grandmother told us of her father's travels to Canada and that his first wife couldn't handle the winters in rural Manitoba so she left. What is curious is that the father and the little girl Madeline were already back in England when the mother died in a Winnipeg hospital.

Given all the details that match and given that Lutterworth had a population of ~3000 at the time, there is little chance that we are talking about two different Charles William Turners.

She met her half sister Madeline but it sounded like Madeline didn't want much to do with them. Grandma said Madeline lived in Eastbourne and one day said she was moving and that she would let them know of her new address once she had moved. She never contacted my grandmother or my greatgrandmother again.

I began this research because my grandmother wanted to know what happened to her sister. Grandama died June 3, 2014.

The_Doog

Thanks a million for your response!

So, it was my mistake and thanks to you it has been corrected. I should have found the

birth of Dorothy M. TURNER: Q2 1921, Lutterworth [R.D.], Vol. 7a, p. 8

but I hadn't. Although it was 15 years after the birth of Charles Davis TURNER, I would have expected to find it and can't explain why I didn't.

The additional information is fascinating so thanks for that too. If I ever find any trace of Madeline Annie TURNER after she moved away from Eastbourne, I'll post the information to this thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234