Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rubina

Wink Steam**g Captain

Hi

Not sure this belongs here but the nearest I can find!

I have at last pinned down one of my ancestors. He was listed in the 1871 Cencus as being a Steam**g (tug?) Captain.

This is in Tyneside. Is there any way I can find out anything more about the Steam**g he operated?

Rboina

Penny Gallo

Default Hi Rubina

I haven't managed to find anything about the Tynside tug boats yet, but this US site: https://www.nps.gov/archive/safr/local/herc.html has quite an interesting amount of detail and a photo of what your boat might have looked like.

Jan1954

Hello Rubina,

Do you have the census reference, so that any of us with access can have a look and confirm whether or not it does say "tug", please?

If it does, one place to enquire might be The Steamboat Association of Great Britain, who may be found at steamboat.org.uk

Rubina

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hello Rubina,

Do you have the census reference, so that any of us with access can have a look and confirm whether or not it does say "tug", please?

If it does, one place to enquire might be The Steamboat Association of Great Britain, who may be found at steamboat.org.uk

Hi!

The ref is: RG9 3838 65 18 (Census for 1861)

The chap you are looking for is my ggg grandad and is William Miller.

I am going to look at links that you and Penny have sent me - thank you!

Robina

For those who helped me in my search for Margaret Raisbeck, Williams wife is she!

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Rubina View Post
    The ref is: RG9 3838 65 18 (Census for 1861)
    Yup - looks like "Steam Tug Captain" to me.

Rubina

Wink Thank you!

Jan
    The Steamboat.org.uk site doesn't exist anymore! Have been trying to find some others to at least get pics of what it may have looked like!

What is a steam tug exactly - any ideas!!

Just excited to have a new occ to add to my baker when every other man and his dog has been a miner or a brick maker! Actually, just really excited to have pinned this family down after sooooo long in the trying!

Penny
    Looked at the link you sent but it seems to be non steamboats.

Ta muchly!

Robina

Penny Gallo

Default I think the US ones are

30 years too late, and presumably inbetween the converted from steam to oil. Sorry it didn't help a lot, and hope someone with more maritime suggestions comes along soon!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Rubina View Post
    Tyne & Wear Archives is the place to look. As well as an online catalogue, they have a good series of User Guides describing local trades and occupations.

Kerrywood

Mutley

Click thamestugs, the site is Thames Tugs but though they are on the River Thames they were not necessarily built there, they came from all over.

There are links to other sites and loads of pictures.

Good Luck

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Rubina
    A tug (boat) that is powered by a steam engine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast