Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BALE

Tony

Default BALE

Any interest in the BALE family of Tiverton, Devon?

Dorset Girl

Hi Tony,
    I have Bales in Staple Fitzpaine and Corfe (Taunton) but not Tiverton itself - although not directly related - is that of any help?
    Marion

Tony

DG - I have James Haeda; Edward Collard; Jane; Mary, all born Tiverton. Their father William was born Wellington, Somerset.
    No direct connection I guess?
    For ref: Their mother, Jane BALE nee BISHOP, was born Crediton.
    But I'm guessing we have a BALE connection somewhere further back along the line!

Dorset Girl

Hi Tony,
    What era are we talking about? I have John Bale abt 1778 from Staple Fitzpaine m Jane (other details unknown) with four children, Isaac, William, Daniel and Charles. The Bales were quite prevalent in the Corfe and Stour Fitzpaine area but I have not come across the Tiverton branch, although it is only a few miles away so I imagine there will be a link somewhere. If I come across any links I'll let you know.
    Cheers, Marion

Tony

Sorry DG, I neglected to mention a timeframe - these individuals were born Tiverton 1838-1845. There is also a John born 'Devon' c.1835, and an older son William born Exeter c.1832. Downstream family lingered on in Devon but as I say the progenitor individual was born Wellington, Somerset.

Dorset Girl

Hi Tony,
    Wellington - about 7 miles away - would think there has to be a connection somewhere but finding it is another matter - what year was William b in?
    Marion

Tony

All I have on William's birth is c.1814 DG.

Dorset Girl

I can find Bale families in Wellington but not a William - have you looked at the Genuki Somerset site - https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SOM/parishes.html
    Marion

Tony

Thanks DG
    For reference, I am moving forward on a broad genealogical front, 'gleaning' as I go. Numbers aren't everything I know, but Mother's tree includes nearly 8500 individuals. Dad's tree, with the Bales, has just over 1300. What this means is there are lots of gaps to be filled, questions and inconsistencies to be answered, and branches to be extended.
    When you get to the pre-census era things slow down considerably don't they.
    Something may turn up sometime but, so far as the average parish register entry goes, I am nervous about grabbing the first possible ancestor of the right name who appears in the right place at the right time. Then there are the registers like Fifehead Magdalen, Dorset, where the entries are in latin up to 1727. Lots of standard words and phrases of course - but it does slow you down.
    People were not always truthful to census enumerators either, were they, or there was misunderstanding and incompetence - even supposing the enumerator had half-decent handwriting.
    As a young girl my grandmother has a census entry in two separate counties - where she was visiting on census day, and another entry made for her home in Croydon.
    Thanks for listening to my grumbles DG.

bishop

Question Many Bales

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    DG - I have James Haeda; Edward Collard; Jane; Mary, all born Tiverton. Their father William was born Wellington, Somerset.
    No direct connection I guess?
    For ref: Their mother, Jane BALE nee BISHOP, was born Crediton.
    But I'm guessing we have a BALE connection somewhere further back along the line!
    Grandfather birth cert (1874) gives his father as James Bishop Bale.
    Other info similar. Do not know where the Haeda comes from. seems to be one and the same person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast