Auntie Boo

Default Collision Empress of Ireland & Sorstad 1914

Can anyone help, I am trying to help a distant relative of a friend, she has given me info we did not have so hoping I can find some for her with your help.

Here is the information she has sent.

Information wanted on William George Naulls, born June 1881, Sutton Road, West Ham, Essex. William was the son of James William Naulls and Margaret Eizabeth Adams. It is believed that William and his new wife Louisa Rose Holten Newman (possibly spelled Nauman), perished in the shipwreck of the Empress of Ireland which collided with the Norwegian ship Storstad in 1914.
    Any information at all would be appreciated.

Hugh Thompson

Hi Auntie Boo,I have the book about the sinking of the Empress of Ireland,I'll have a read tonight and see if passengers names are mentioned.
    It always annoys me when so much is written about the Titanic and the Empress never gets a mention.
    Hugh.

Reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this overview -

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=246

note in particular BT 334.

Also the book Tracing Births, Deaths and Marriages at Sea by CT and MJ Watts (Society of Genealogists, 2004) can be obtained through Parish Chest, I believe.

Also consider simply ordering a death certificate from GRO.

Jan1954

It seems that the people that you mention were on the list as lost. They embarked in Ontario and were bound for London.

I have sent you a PM.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 30-11-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Got the places the wrong way round...

Hugh Thompson

The Empress was outward bound from Canada going to England not England to Canada,I only mention this in case they sailed on her from England,in which case they would have arrived safely.
    There isn't a list for the 700 odd 3rd class passengers that perished,but if you go to the Internet Archives,just click on the address below,it will open at a page showing the book which you can download (free) or open up the flip book and read.
    Regards Hugh.

https://www.archive.org/search.php?qu...20of%20Ireland

Auntie Boo

Many thanks everyone ther were sailing back to England and have now found a site that lists them as 3rd class passengers "lost"

I will pass all this on the the lady in Australia.